1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need quick help with ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pwrjnky, Jan 3, 2010.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

plowed last 2 days with no problems. It was rougly 30 degrees or so. This morning it's 4 below zero. I warm up the truck and plow raises fine. Go to the first job and do 3 passes and the plow starts to move really slow for a few minutes so I do another pass and it stopped working. I throw some heaters on it to warm it up, pull the connectors apart clean them and regrease them, checked all battery and selenoid connections and I got nadda. lights work, when I start the truck and re-try....plow will move up maaaybe an inch with no side to side. I hear the selenoid click and I get the whining noise like the plow wants to move. Any ideas??? I'm heading back into the garage. My cell is 269-744-6278 if you have any ideas. Thanks. Ryan

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

frozen fluid but heaters should have solved that unless they didnt get it warm enough. mite have a little watter in it?

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I would think it's the fluid. when it gets this cold we keep bottles of "heat" with us and a couple of quarts of fluid in the truck next to the heater ready to be changed

4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

seems if it was frozen though it wouldn't have worked at all this morning. Plugged screens maybe????? Bad valve???? Dunno. I'm no mechanic. Goin back out

5. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

ok....must have been frozen. to salamander heaters on it fot the last 45 minutes and it's working now. I drained the canister at the beginning of the season and filled it with new fluid. Maybe I should take it to the dealer and have the whole system drained and refilled?

6. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

why not just drain it and change it yourself? It's a very simple thing to do. We keep the supplies with us in the truck so we can change it anywhere, anytime. When it's cold and there's a lot of snow to plow you do what you have to do.

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

you could also try adding a little "heat" alcohol to get rid of any water in the oil.

8. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

How do I get all the oil oit of the cylinders/hoses?? I've never done it before. It just got the plow at the beginning of the season and just drained and refilled the canister.

9. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I store my plow on snowmobile dollies in my garage. with the plow resting on the dollies, I would just take off one end of the hose attached to the cylinder and then manually push the blade to angle it left and right to push all the oil out of the cylinders. After this just put the hoses back on and refill with oil. You'll have to purge the air out of the lines now by just slightly loosening the hose and cycling the cylinders. after that tighten the hose back up and move the plow up, down, left, right.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this I would definitely take it to a dealer to have it serviced. It shouldn't take them very long to do this and this way you know it was done right.

10. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

you do this with all 3 hoses? left/right/lift? doesn't sound too bad......other than the bleeding sounds tricky.

11. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

The bleeding isn't as hard as it sounds. Have you ever bled out a brake system before? Just take your time and either make sure the plow is on the ground or it is fully supported.

When we change our oil after it has frozen, we don't worry about the cylinders. We just get out the majority of the oil and put in fresh warm oil. that will fix the problem most all of the time.