1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need quick help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chevguy6809, Nov 9, 2014.

1. chevguy6809

chevguy6809 Junior Member

Hey guys I have a 7.5 foot pro ultra mount on a 95 Chevy, the positive post coming out of the pump motor rusted and broke off, do I need the whole pump/motor assembly or can I buy just the motor? And is it a tough fix?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just the motor

3. chevguy6809

Fairly easy fix?

4. dieselss

If your mechanicly inclined, easy. Should also do your filter and magnet.

5. chevguy6809

Well I work on semis, so I know my way around a wrench. Never worked on a plow before though

6. dieselss

Plows are gravy, just be easy. Plows aren't semis tho.

7. chevguy6809

Is it just the + and- wires, or am I not seeing something? I'm not going to be near it until tonight but we've got 4-8" on the way so just trying to get as much info before I tackle it. Thanks for the help!

8. dieselss

Yea the wires are on the outside, and all the stuff is under the motor

9. chevguy6809

found a used one for $70...but it only has the + stud in it not the - stud, will it still work? Just take the grounds to the manifold block bolt?

10. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Bad idea. That is how you end up with grounding damage inside your pump. Best to use the 2-pole like originally was there. It is also probably not the right motor anyway. There are about 4 or 5 western motors now.

11. chevguy6809

so i wasted my $70 then....is plowpartsdirect.com reputable? neither western dealer near me has one and I'm betting that site would be fastest..

12. chevguy6809

everything looks to be the same except that it doesnt have the ground stud in the motor itself. The guy I bought it from works for a western dealer installing/fixing, he said it was just an older style before they put the ground stud in the motor itself? I guess I jumped to taking somebody at their word to quick..

13. bliz&hinikerDLR

He is correct then that it will work if the shaft is correct. Just be sure that when you mount the motor it makes a nice clean connection with the block. Otherwise your ground will want to go through the pump shaft and that is bad news bears.

The western dealers around you don't stock this motor!?! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200690967925?lpid=82
    We stock it and we don't even sell western.

14. chevguy6809

They do stock it typically, but we have 8-15" of snow on the way....and I guess I'm not the only one who ended up being super busy and last minute fixing.

15. bliz&hinikerDLR

Got it. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like we will likely miss out on any plowable snow.

16. chevguy6809

I am about an hour south of where they are talking about up to 18"....lucky dogs! but this is the first year with this plow on this truck, so a good 6-8" in my town will be a good test of how things are working (if this pump works) Thank You for you're help, greatly appreciate it!

17. chevguy6809

Got the motor replaced, cleaned up around top of valve block and mounted motor. Now the motor runs but the plow doesnt move? all I did was replace the motor so I messed something up somehow....any suggestions?

18. dieselss

You lined up the pump to motor?
    Is the motor running the correct way?
    Is the motor even contacting the pump?
    You reinstalled the small gnd wire correct?

19. chevguy6809

yes i lined up the slot onto pump
    how can motor run backwards?
    it sat down onto the shaft at first and i turned it to line it up
    yes i got the small ground wire as well

20. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

If it's the right motor it can't turn backwards. ... maybe the pump's not sucking any fluid. You can check to see if the filter is clogged, or maybe the pickup tube fell off.