1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need QUICK help chosing between NEW Fisher or Pre DD Blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott183, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

I hope I'm putting this is the best forum to get some unbiased responses. Unfortunately I bent up my pre DD Blizzard 810 last night after whacking a curb pretty damn hard. I'm lucky thats the only thing I bent with the intensity of the impact. Needs an A Frame, 2 pistons, and I'm sure some more hidden stuff, but have determined it's time to replace instead of repair. This is the best blade I've used in my 20+ years of plowing, had it since brand new in 2005. I have no desire to purchase anything besides another winged plow, which is limited to DD as we all know. I'm stuck between purchasing a brand new Fisher XLS or another pre DD Blizzard 810 from 2005 (still waiting to see pics of condition). Financially I can afford to buy the XLS, although who likes to part w/ 6k. I just want to spend wisely and am looking for opininons between my options. Please try to keep brand loyalty out of it, they're all just work tools to me. Thanks

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Blizzard, you have everything on the truck already. Buy it and your back in business within minutes.

3. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

Then the 3rd option that slipped my brain (due to the 36 hour day I just had) is to buy an Eerie Special from Jerre. Falls some where between the two other options in price.

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Good point!

But....new is new, warranty and all...

Blizzard makes a much larger plow with the 8611...if you have truck enough..

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I guess it all comes down to how fast you need to be up and running again,and the size of the plow you need.

6. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

According to the forecast I have at least a week before anything substantial coming in, but it's New England so who knows. I think the truck will hold an 8611 if needed, it does have beefed up front Kore springs. The 810 has always been enough to blast through the lots I have. I have no problem spending the $$ on the XLS, but Douglass Dynamic quality control seems to be an issue that I've read about on this forum. The idea of switching to a trip edge ove a trip blade is also a turn off for me. The thought of losing my Blizzard joystick box and going to a hand held is also kind of a turn off that goes with any new DD plow. Travel time, fuel, etc. kind of puts the Erie special (upgraded/ refurbed 810 for those that don't know) at about the same price as a brand new XLS. I'm probably only keeping this Cummins for another 3-4 years and then getting something newer. I'll probably want to hang a brand new plow on whatever I purchase then. I think I'm leaning toward the used 810, but it's a hell of a long drive to make a wrong choice. Thanks for the input/ opinions thus far.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

FYI you can get a joystick with a XLS if you want

8. Buswell Forest

from NH

The hand held controller is awesome!

The Q/C on my XV is pretty good. The shop that assembled it didn't tighten everything like it should have been done imo..but that isn't DD's fault. Very happy with it. @ 9'6", it's more than wide enough, and is more versitile for my uses.

Let us know what you pick..

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

And what about a trip edge don't you like?

10. Scott183

Scott183 Junior Member

Yes I have seen that option. Its much smaller than the original Blizzard one which resembles an old Atari game and straps around my center console flip down. I know it may sound like knit picking, but for as many hours as I spend plowing, I'd like to be comfortable using the plow. The fishstick floating around seems like a real pain to me. IMO
    The Douglass Dynamic quality control is the biggest thing keeping me from buying new. Maybe I've been scared off by other members. We always tend to focus on the negatives. I've kind of got the impression that they're cheaply made as opposed to the original Blizzaed which I consider to be pretty damn tough, for the abuse I've given it over the years.

I own both and I've used both, so I this is based off personal experience. I've been using my trip blade plows for about 15 years between my Blizzard and Meyers before that. Two of my other trucks that my guys use our the trip edge Fishers. I get annoyed by the constant jump and bounce over everything that is stuck the slightest to the ground. Any kind of ice and it just jumps over it. My Blizzard will grab it, stickm maybe a slight fold and pop it free from the pavement in most cases. Again, I know that is something that is just a personal taste.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

In what I've seen the full trip strip more than Fisher type. Now, I have only ever plowed with Fishers... and my 1996 MM1 is a poor example as it has never set correctly from the day I bought the truck (2 years old at the time). Fisher engineers and the local long time dealers have never had an idea why it has not worn or set right -- the angle is wrong with the a frame level where the spring mounts rub on flat yet the trip edge is almost full size - 5.5 inches. Cutting edges seem to make more of a difference on a Fisher than a full trip for tripping. My old Speedcaster from '86 with an 8inch edge was fantastic at ice and hardly tripped.

My opinion I would either buy new XLS (because you want to run what you can get parts and support for locally when you need it) or buy the used 810. If you're planning to replace the truck soon, buy the used and it fits the truck. save the $$ and work with what you're used to especially if you will want a new plow on a new truck.

As to the control - I love the old small joystick from Fisher - same mount location as my first truck had the cable joystick... but everyone I know who went to the hand held says they love it and would never go back.