1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need quick advice on dr. office

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by jblatti13, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

i have bid a few commercial properties, but my dentist office called for a quote for plowing this year. have any of you guys serviced doctors offices before? do they usually do zero tolerance, do they expect to pay a little more because they are doctors offices and we know they have the loot? its not big at all, one row of 15 parking spaces, all the snow can get pushed away from the building into a ditch/wooded area. i have some numbers in mind, but dont have any expereince with offices like these. thanks guys.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well you need to ask him what kind of service is he looking for. Just dont assume since it is a doctors office that it is zero tolerance, but most are. The doctor is a smart man and if he wants top notch zero tolerance service then it is going to cost a little more and he will understand it. I have learned in this business that people with money are not always going to pay more for a service, or you think you can charge them more because of that. How do you think they got all that money in the first place?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Over thinking it. Just plow it when it needs to be done. I have 2 dentist offices and nothing special for them. They don't even want salt.

4. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

so by you not salting they're accepting the liability right? i dont currently have a liability policy in place because of the lack of commercial accts, but i have the quote and ready to pull the trigger when i get an acct for sure. i just want to know everythig to tell him/her when i speak with them. i didnt think id treat this like a normal resi but i guess ill go by what they want for service.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ummmm,you better have the insurance before you plow anything for money. Your personal truck insurance won't cover you either.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Residentials, or commercial, I would not start my truck up without having insurance in place to cover myself.

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i do almost all offices and 99% are zero tolerance...they area PITA!!!!!!!! charge charge charge al ot!!! they will demand you all season long brother...you must tell them hey, you want 24/7 service and to be picky as hell, pay up suckers! but most act like they are broke, as they drive off the lot in their 2010 lexus hybrid

8. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Most are just general service just try to get them cleared and taken care of before the morn.

More than likely they bid it every year anyway

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First; you need insurance

Second; 15 cars or 50 cars there has to be a minimum charge just to show up. it takes as long to get to and from a 15 car lot as it does a 50 car lot. Sometimes the little ones are a pita because of snow storage and maneuverability, particularly during office hours.

Third; you can not have a sliding scale. It cost the same money to do the job to the specified level regardless of the customer's net worth. overcharging will just lose you the job. The value of the work is contingent on the level of service not the income of the customer.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Never had a jerk of a customer triggering your right to impose the prik factor? :rolleyes:

11. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

Ask what the customer wants and charge accordingly. If it takes less than a hour charge one hour min. to cover travel. If it is zero tolerance charge a little more. This is a good chance to learn bidding on commercial accounts. If it is not that big and you under bid it, it wont kill you ( it will suck though) and you will learn for next time. If you over bid it they probably will call you next year for another bid. Good luck

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:laughing:absolutely:nod: sometimes the price includes a PITA% increase but it has nothing to do with the customer's tax category I would say that falls under level of service:D.

13. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

So you already have resi accounts that you do without insurance??

Get insurance, then ask the Dr. for a written spec, this way you know that all the bids he gets are (should be) apples to apples. Nothing worse than when you get "verbal specs", submit the bid and then get asked "why so high compared to this guy?", then you explain your interpretation of the specs and they say "well we don't really need all of that"!! Everything should be clear in writing, but like others have said, doesn't matter if you're doing commercial or residential, if you are plowing for ANY FORM of compensation ($$, pizza, beer), the truck should not leave your property without a GL and commercial auto insurance. You are just asking for trouble.

14. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

finally heard back guys... the lady i was dealing with had to relay all the bids to the doctor to make a decision, they went with the guy thats been doing it for a few years. she said my numbers were about the same but he's been okay so theyll just stick with him for now. the way she said it basically sounded like they were lookin for someone to come in and do it for way cheap, and i will not do that. had i known thats all they were looking for i wouldnt have even bid. talked with my dad about it, he asked if i asked her if the other guy was a client of hers. he said i should've thrown out there that me, my 2 sisters, and my parents all see this dentist at least twice a year for reg visits plus any other work we need done. i dont want to threaten her that il just find another dentist, but should i have used that as leverage?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hard to fault them for vendor loyalty. You would have appreciated that if you had the contract. They used you to check his pricing and as a courtesy for your being a client..

16. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

well yea i appreciate the fact they stick with their service providers, but the way it came across was like they were looking for the same quality at a cheaper rate. im not about to start lowballing the guys in my area, because ive had it done to me. i kno im looking too far into it, i just get frustrated with some of these commercials. my resi's seem to be more udnerstanding and knowledgable with things than the comm. property managers/owners.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

residential first concern is service, commercial the first concern is price.

18. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

residential first concern is service, commercial the first concern is price.

So True....even with the return commercials customers still hammer for price.