1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need quick advice on a 96-F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by getsum, Oct 25, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Looking to expand/ upgrade into a larger truck for my biz. im looking at a 96 F350 RC LB 7.3 with 123,000 miles with only 2 spots of rust.the guy who had it before this guy claimed to be a mechanic.....he had replaced alot of things over the years....... replacing the rear tank, shackles and mounts, battery wiring harness, tie rods, and some other stuff. ......the original motor blew because the oil pan rusted, this motor has about 123k on it and a new oil pan and water-pump. has a small oil leak on the valve cover. the oil leak happened when the newer motor was put in, the valve cover got bent just alittle in one corner, his mechanic bent it back and put on a new gasket, but it started leaking again, I priced a new one at $60 or $90 depending on whether the injectors were male or female. he did take it to be inspected and aligned....didnt need alignment,just the steering box was loose.

ANY-WHO is there anything else i should look for. he is asking 7k. ANY advice would be great. intending to put a 8611 on it and a snow dogg spreader. Talking to the bank in the am if it checks out

ps it has a fisher 8footer already on it
  2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

few more details
    Automatic, am/fm/cd, cruise control, tilt wheel, power everything, including lumbar support for driver and passenger. Ac is cold, heat is hot, no dash lights on. Has new tires and rims, rear gas tank, shackles and mounts, shocks, brakes, tie rods, water pump, steering box, oil pan, starter, etc..has a bedliner, sliding rear window, side steps, side handles, sun visor, block heater, amber plow light, 8' minute mount plow
  3. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

That's a great truck. I had a '96 for 11 years and 155K miles. Only difference was 5 spd. manual. Had to replace the flywheel twice b/c of diesel torque. My company also had a '96 automatic. Replaced the trans. 3 times, again b/c of torque. Those trans. just can't handle the diesel, that's why they came out with the torqshift trans. Anyway we sold that truck at 325K miles to my neighbor and it now has 335K miles, still original engine.
  4. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

wow! i plan on plowing through the winter and doing some restoration this spring. body, paint, mechanical and motor work. plan on keeping it for a LONG time as my work truck. maybe even a dump insert. So when i test drive it check tranny? Any other advice for things to look out for?
  5. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

lol the torque is not why your company had to replace the tranny 3 times, that's because it wasn't maintained correctly or it was severly abused. as in over heated many times plowing, because my 97 f350 diesel with 248,000 had the original tranny when i got it at 239,000 and didn't slip or anything but i lost lock up due the electronics going bad in the tranny and because i didn't bring in it to a shop for service, i over heated the tranny and it needed to be rebuilt, but these trucks go 2-300,000 on stock trannys alot, they just require maintenance which alot of people don't do.
  6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I have a 97 f250 with the 7.3l with 170k miles on it and it has original everything, power train engine. I has been a real good truck to me over the past 6 years but the body is rusting and falling apart on me. Its time for a new one!
  7. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

there are a couple small spots but how hard is it to possibly cut out and re do the body rust? i guess it passed inspection so it cant be to bad
  8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the tranny is an e4od. it doesn't have the greatest reputation - which i think is undeserved. as said, maintain it and it will treat you right. an auto transmission is the most expensive, and most overlooked part of the drivetrain. change the fluid every 25k miles (use only dextron/mercon III fluid). DO NOT flush the transmission - drain, replace filter, and add fluid. and put a temp guage on it - heat is the number one killer of these tranmissions. make sure the tranny cooler lines that run the radiator and then to the external cooler (if you have one) are all in good shape. these are known to rust from the outside in.