1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need professional opinions on what to do.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1/2tonthatcould, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

I have a small dilema this winter. I own my truck, a 98 GMC K3500 single wheel with an 8ft fisher, and have a back up, K1500. This year I thought I had a lock with a certain city, and then it fell through when they told me I needed to have CGL Insurance, at this point it was already Nov 5. After a couple weeks of looking for other places to be a sub the only thing ive turned up is an offer for $40 per hour with room for improvment depending on performance. My other option is to go pass out some flyers and try to drum up some residential work. From what It sounds like to me the 40 per hour job would be a lock if i wanted it, but thats awful low, esp when you see cites paying in the mid 50s to low 60s for that size truck. What do you guys think I should do? Its getting late now, and its kind of hard now where it snowed so early, our Halloween storm. Ive been running an ad on CL for a few weeks with no hits, and plan to run one in the paper this weekend, also to pass out flyers. Of course alot of people tend to wait till its snowing to call you, but is it worth that risk?

Any opinions greatly appriceated.
    Thanks
    Dan

2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

The $40 with "room for improvement" needs to have some definition. Sounds like the best option, because picking up driveways is tough and you may well end up driving all over for less than $500 per storm. I would go for a sub role this winter.

3. J&J

J&J Junior Member

Well... I do residential driveways now, since i was getting my knees chopped off by all the low balling non legit business here in the TAX me out the ass state of Connecticut...

I wouldn't so much as pass out flyers, but something of the sort would be to head on up to your local cancer center and medical offices and post something on their peg board for driveways for now...
    Its never too late people are shopping like mad still and there is ALWAYS a boozo that has crap equipment that is going to piss someone off by tearing up someones lawn..lol

In the mean time between time, I strongly recomend that you get a SIMPLE to easy to read flyer that you can put up in a high traffic medical office. ( this is what i did. but i had an in being i was a cancer patient)

I try to be inventive every year. I figured people have to get to their medical appointments. It works BTW try it ..:)

Just my 2 Cents!

4. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Thanks guys,

The sub job is for a landscaper, he wants to start me at $40 per hour and I would be in parking lots, small ones, moving from one to the other with not much distance in between.

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

How many hours will he be giving you? Can you meet your bills with that? I guess if I need the money i would have to go for the sure thing. Was there no way to get the correct insurance for the city? (i may not understand what that entailed)
    Steve

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did you get the correct insurance then?

7. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

For hours all he told me was I would be called when it was time to start doing my route and leave when it was done.

As far as for the insurance, I needed 100k/300k on my auto insurance which I had, then I needed another commercial general liability policy which was going to be another 2k per year, as a student I couldnt afford that.

8. White Gardens

Can you afford not to have it.

9. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Never had it before and i asked around no other city or town required that insurance

10. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You must have it. Is losing everything you have and then working to pay it off for the next 20 years worth it? The risk you run doing plowing is huge, it is not a case of if you have an accident, it is a case of when it happens are you covered or not. This comment you made says it all, "esp when you see cites paying in the mid 50s to low 60s for that size truck". Those guys are all going to have insurance.

11. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

I have insurance this is a separate policy they want you to have. No one else I know has CGL just there regular auto policiy

12. White Gardens

Then they are potentially SOL like you would be. General Liability is a must for anyone doing commercial work for hire.

13. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Hmm good to know.

14. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

That insurance quote is way high as to what I am paying here in Indiana. My CGL insurance is only like $429 a year for $2mil in coverage. Maybe this is covering your workers comp as well. From what I am told by my insurance man is if you have no employees you don't need to have workers comp. but once again I am in Indiana so the laws may be different.

15. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

you know what I think you could be right, if that is the case Im going to be upset. what does the CGL cover that your auto insurance liability doesnt?

16. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I am not a insurance guy but I think your general liability would cover if you damaged turf, concrete curbs or any property. I think your auto would just cover if you hit another car or truck or God forbid a person.

17. White Gardens

Yep, and say you accidentally hit a gas meter, your snow blower throws a rock through a 5k leaded glass window, your shovel slips out of your hand and hits grandma walking by, and if you were driving and plowing, lost control, ran into a building, and the building burnt to the ground. Though excessive, it possibly could happen and you would be pretty well covered.

The great thing about me, landscaping and snow removal, is that because any real damage is generally minimal and taken care of by the contractor, it keeps pushing the price of GL down. It's just good business in general to have it as to protect yourself from the worst that could happen.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  18. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I'm a bit surprised that the landscaper you plan to sub for hasn't asked for a certificate of ins. from you. I find it highly unlikely that if a disaster should take place that he will take the hit for you.