1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need pro/expert ALL IMFO WELCOMED

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by smcunningham, Feb 11, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

ALL KNOWLEDGE / OPINIONS / ADVICE WELCOME

PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS ISSUE
    Just hooked up my power angle lines to pump.Problem is the pump motor is heating up really fast.....I think problem is different fluid type in power angle clyenders than whats in pump.........Just read The western manaual says never to mix fluids going to drain everything and put the same type of fluid in the whole system...IT is a cable operated western isarmatic mark 3 a pump...Is the best way to drain the power angle rams to disconnect the lines put end in a bucket and collasp ram? other methods welcome !!!
    I'll do the same with pump itself.......extend ram open drain collasp ram.....What is the best way to refill the system I know with the pump it self just collasp ram and fill to the bottem of threads of the drain plug what about the power angle rams???????????
    how do you fill them the correct way.......and amount in each one???????
    Western site says 1 1/2 qQ in pump and 2 1/8 Q system in the hydra turn rams....is that per hydra ram or for both together??????????????????

GOING TO TOWN TO GET FLUID WILL CHECK BACK UPON RETURN

2. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

Bump.........................

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

With your motor off of the case, fill case until full, angle blade left and right several times and then recheck fluid level.

I think your problem with the heat build up is a lack or weak ground from the motor to the battery. Take a heavy cable from your battery to one of the bolts that holds the motor to the case. Make sure all battery connections are tight and clean.

4. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

Crash 935

THE pump motor did heat up until I hooked up the power angle. used the plow last week just did not have power angle. hooked up power agle today then noticed the heat off the motor.will check all -/+ connection will make sure good ground its all new cables though.Will double check thanks ,shane

5. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

anybody else have suggestions, going out to shop to change fluid

6. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

Bump....................

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i've mixed fluids before never really had a big issue i can't beleive that that would be the cause of the motor overheating, check to make sure that the plow isn't bound up somewhere i.e bent frame, check to make sure your rams are straight. when you angle does it move normally? or slowly?

8. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

northern svc or anybody else

northern svc moves fine fast both ways fast up and down drained whole system could only get 2 Q back in should take 3 5/8 according to western ....21/8 in power agle rams and 1 1/2 in main pump resivor.......any suggestions anybody

9. payton

payton Senior Member

are you sure theres nuff fluid in there to start with?

lack of lubricant can cause pumps to heat up

10. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

payton

payton, I drained the whole system and can only seem to get 2 Q back in......according to western there is 2 1/8 capasty in the power agle rams and 1 1/2 in the main pump resivoir I can only get 2 Q in it and it wont take anymore.....mved it in all directions up and down left right and tried adding fluid till wont take anymore fluid ...tried this like 5 different times
    any suggestions..............Im about to agle plow all the way one way and then dissconnect the line on opposite ram and take it off plow completly drain this ram and take hydro line off the ram and pour 2 1/8 Q fluid in ram attach hydro line to ram then drain pump refill pump w/ 1 1/2 Q hook everything back up......will wait for your response for possble different way to add more fluid

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

2 quarts is about the full capacity of the whole system

12. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

crash935 thanks for the imfo

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If the motor's still heating up bad it may need to be retired and a new one take it's place.
    I used your setup for like 4 years and never had a problem. The motor will get warm but it will not be smoking hot after a little work. Check all your connections,clean and put dielectric grease on them to protect them from curd.
    My pump did not care what fluid was in it as long as it was full. Make sure your cable ends in the pump are greased real well and the cover is water tight.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  14. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

Thanks Mickirig1 I think I solved and corrected the problem.............The ground in my joystick was weak/not very well ground to the solinoid relay rewired and works great if that did'nt work i was going to go buy a new pump tommorrow...........still might....just in case something happens w/ mine

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you need a new motor try calling automotive rebuilders in your area. They may have motors for about 1/2 of new cost. I know around here they do.

16. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

My buddy has two pumps the same as mine called him around nine last night and he'll sell me both for 300.00 bucks.there both good.he just upgrade to solonoid operated pumps actually he bought two new complete plow setups.....:nod:

17. smcunningham

smcunningham Member

I'll still check into automotive rebuilders though thanks for the imfo