1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Plow Advice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Bill_N, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Bill_N

Bill_N Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 ext cab short bed with the 350 Vortec. It only has about 85k on it and is in great shape. I'm thinking about putting a plow on it to do my driveway. Since we've been getting hit with 20" plus storms for the last few years, I'm sick of spending 4-5 hours with a snowblower to get it done.

I'd probably look for a used plow and refurb whatever I have to when I install it. What kind of plows would you recommend? I was thinking a 7 1/2 ft blade would be about right.
  2. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

7 1/2' For the price of used you can get a Snowdogg MD. This time of year I would guess no more than $3500-$3600...

I had a new to me snowblower the big badass version- Paid $750 used it twice and then said screw that. Sold it to a bro for $50 loss and put it towards a Dogg... That was December 2010, The Dogg moved from a Mountaineer to my 04 Ram 1500, added timbrens and just putzing around my neighborhood between the Merc and Ram I have paid for it many times over. The only wear I have on the truck is new shocks all the way around which it needed anyway and a tie rod end which I will put on in the spring... Plow drops front end abou 1/2"-3/4" I could give torsion bars a few turns but no biggie.

Last year I installed an Avital remote start-

Start up truck, get dressed, put my hikers and hoody on... and in 30-40 minutes I can plow my drive and 4 others....

The downside is with the dollars I've made and retirement looming I'm thinking of a V for it and then go all in on plowing. I enjoy the time in the truck.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

First off I'd look to see what options you have around you as far as dealers. Second, be aware that plows, even a little standard duty plow is expensive and expensive to repair in most cases. I'd never buy a used plow unless it was near perfect condition, usually guys get rid of plows for a reason. Doing commercial versus your driveway are two very different things though, I couldn't afford a break down so I want to keep the risks at a minimal but thats a personal decision for me. You shouldn't need to do anything to your truck to make it plow ready if it's road worthy now, maybe a couple turns on the torsion bars, make sure battery and alt are running 100%.
  4. Bill_N

Bill_N Junior Member
    from CT

Good points but I want to keep it under 2k. So used it will have to be. I have a 40" blower on my Cub garden tractor that I can get through the season with. Then I can pick something up and get it set-up before next winter.

I'm concerned about ground clearance if I put a plow frame on the truck. Some of the spots I hunt are rutted up and tough to get into without it.