1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinon

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mgt379, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mgt379

mgt379 Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 1993 dodge Dakota, I am getting a new truck soon but i have this Dakota that i have now. I don't know wither I should keep this and fix the problems it has and put a plow on it. The only reason I thought of this was because I saw a couple of my year trucks driving around with plows on them and doing a couple of commercial lots. I was thinking of selling it but i know i could not get what I want for it because it has no 4x4 right now the most I could get for it i think is 500 (has 240,000 miles) this would sit until winter time came if i were to keep it

The Good:
    Replaced with in the last year-
    New transmission
    New Exhaust
    New Tires
    New lights
    New rear end
    New radiator and belts.

What i would need to do
    New front end (no 4x4)
    New shocks
    Plow rig and lights

Should i keep it, fix it and put a plow on it or sell it and buy a new plow truck.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Depends what your finances look like but I will tell you that you are going to have a hard time plowing much of anything with a 2wd Dakota.

Guys with newer plow trucks have break downs, so I imagine with a light duty '93 you will have more than your share.

Either way, best of luck to you, and either way, stick with a Dodge.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would be tempted to fix this up, and put a used plow on it. You don't have much to lose, given the value is so low at this time. Older trucks are great for plowing, and its not so heartbreaking if you do some body damage from bumping into snowbanks or stuff like that. You need to buy a plow anyway.

Do you know exactly what is wrong with the frontend? No 4x4 could be as simple as a bad vacuum line on this truck.

The big downfall of this truck is that it may be difficult to pickup commercial work given the age, mileage, and history of the truck. Serious commercial work really requires a backup truck, or at least a few friends who can help you out in a breakdown. If you do get this going, and business grows, this could be your backup truck after a year or two.

4. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Is this truck a 2wd or a 4x4 and it is not working!

5. mgt379

mgt379 Junior Member
    from CT

The truck is a 4x4... this would be fixed and have a plow put on over the summer. I know exactly what is wrong with it, the cage that holds the spyder gears in the front end shattered while I was driving, i would only be doing residential until i get on my feet and get a bigger truck at least

6. JDiepstra

It's always good to have a backup truck. might as well keep the Dodge

7. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

ya, you may as well keep it. i bought a new truck this fall and am kicking myself for selling the old one for next to noyhing.

8. mgt379

mgt379 Junior Member
    from CT

what size plow should I be looking for my dakota

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

6'8" - 7'6" plow

under 550 pounds total.

weight of the plow in ballast held in place behind rear axle

snowplowing insurance

4X4

4X4

four by four

Oh and did I metion four wheel drive.:nod:

10. JDiepstra

I would suggest getting the biggest plow to put on it that it can hold. That way you can use the same plow when you get a different truck down the road. If it is too small, you will be driving over the snow you are plowing to the side. If one truck breaks down, put the plow on the other truck and off you go. If your plow takes a dump, it is usually faster to fix than a truck.

11. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Agree always have a back up, I have 2 backups and this year had to come home a few times and grab one of my other trucks to finish plowing. I find it unproffessional if you have to call all your clients and explain why you couldn't plow them out and they can't get out of their driveway. Also their is also a piece of mind that if your truck breaks down you just get your other truck, not have to call everyone asking for help and waiting until they finish their run before doing yours.

12. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Dakotas are not a good truck especially the earlier ones

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sell it. Used plow trucks will be pretty cheap come summer.

14. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I hear either of these are great plows for a Dodge Dakota...

Seriously how big of a plow weight wise can you put on that without it snapping in two?

hg-004797-01.jpg

15. Don't let anyone fool you. Dakotas are great for plowing as long as you take it easy on them. I plowed hard last year in this truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]