1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CornerStoneProp, Aug 1, 2014.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I am not sure what to do here, I have what turned out to be a terrible buy my 1996 f350 with a good running 7.3, but bad frame. I was offered a straight trade for a 2003 6.0 rusty bed good drive train egr deleted truck. My 7.3 has 67~k on it the 6.0 has 102k. I know the 03 6.0 was the worst year. I already got a brand new ram with the Cummins motor so I don't need a second truck but may be a nice backup rig. I figure I can spend a couple grand and fix the bed and dented fender if it actually runs well. What would you do? The newer truck may be easier to sell in the future or use as a trade since the frame is still good down the road.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Could always throw a flatbed on it

3. CornerStoneProp

What I was thinking just afraid of the first gen 6.0

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Not a big deal if it's already deleted. Add a coolant filter. You can do gaskets and studs if you're worried about it

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I too had a 03 / 6.0L that had so many problems, I tried to get the truck "lemon lawed." I think it was "re-flashed" at the dealer a few dozen times over the course of the 3 years that I could stand to keep it. It was so bad, they pulled the engine out at 6000 miles to fix a leaky oil pan. This truck you are looking at, has enough miles on it that I would think they would have all the issues fixed on it by now. Ask the owner how much trouble he has had with it over the years. Who knows he might have been one of the lucky 5 or 6 2003 owners that DIDN'T have problems.:laughing:

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I've owned three 6.0's. One was a buy back, its was a 05. I didn't have any real problems with the other two that I beat to hell. At 100k, most items should stood out by now or you'll see them now. The 03 has the best whistling turbo of all the years to. I would trade.

My trucks was a 03 and two 05's

7. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Do it. I have a 03 6.0 and its great, over 25,000 miles since last October and one minor $36 problem. I bought it needing an injector. I have a post on it "6.0 project and small build" or something like that. It does everything that's asked of it. I have a egr delete waiting for it. I actually liked it enough to buy a 04 6.0 needing lots of work. I would trade asap. To be honest the 03 is different then the rest and some people prefer it.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

03-04 is the same. Late 05-07 has redesigned heads

9. 1olddogtwo

10. bosspro

bosspro Junior Member
    from nj

Boss or Blizzard

Looking to buy a new plow. Torn between Boss or Blizzard ? HELP

11. 1olddogtwo

And you picked Bosspro for a name!

12. CornerStoneProp

I guess I should contact the owner of the other truck again to take a look at his truck. Just not sure what to look for. Maybe check oil for water etc?