1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions PLEASE

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just bought a NewHolland skid steer last Friday. We got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately its an open cab which isn't all that bad except for the feet! I'm ordering a vinyl enclosure and the plates that go under the foot controls for it prob. in a couple days. Ive been looking and searching on the web for heaters, I dont want to put a heater that hooks into the cooling system because if something were to rupture in the cab....holy crap you would get burned! So I was searching for hours for a good electric heater but I didn't really find anything. I was hoping someone else might be able to help. Thanks in advance.

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Just put some tubing from the muffler thingy to the cab. Hold your breath and you will be fine! :D

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check Northern Tools

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I wouldn't stress about blown heater hoses. Just route them correctly, and shield them. Worry more about hypothermia...brr. And I hope you're not going to use it for salt...ugh, what a mess that could be.

So I've heard...

5. Brian Young

Tried them, I was hoping to find something a bit more heavy duty.

6. Brian Young

No, we use liquid for 95% of our accounts and a few bags for the other ones.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You'll hate the vinyl enclosure. If you're going to be in this thing a lot just get a cab and heater. Really you shouldn't have bought one without it for snow removal.

8. Brian Young

Yeah I know but when your counting on "friends" to help you out that have a skid steer and then they are no where to be found and you accounts are calling and your loosing money by not having one I was kinda in a bad situation. Plus there isn't a skid steer under 20k anywhere around here, the BobCat dealer has been looking for weeks and like I said I got a great deal, its a 96 owned by a old farmer who barley used it. It looks like its only a year or two old tops, plus it only had 1836 hrs on it. Best of all....9k. I really dont mind the chill, in fact I kinda like it but its the feet that I dont like getting cold. I think when I put the foot plates on to block off the holes and the enclosure just to keep the wind off me I'll be fine. Just have to find a decent heater. I'll trade up in a couple years, something with pilot controls and factory heat/ac.

9. WIPensFan

I got ya! I've got some old army boots they call "Mickey Mouse Boots". Bought them years ago at army surplus store. Good down to -40 or some ridiculous temp. Feet never got cold and I to had to run a Bobcat with no enclosure. Try looking online for new or used military gear, maybe they still make them. Feet will be doing this :yow!: if you find em.:D

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We ran both our Bobcats for years with no heat. Its not the warmest but we used them plastic cabs and they keep the wind off ya!!!

We tryed electric heaters on invereters and they draw to much power to do anything!

11. pure perfection

pure perfection Junior Member

i have a question im new to the snow plowing biz was wondering how much should i charge to do 18000 sq ft?

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Seems like the going rate is a flat fee of about 30 bucks. :realmad: But to each there own.

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

14. WIPensFan

Post that question in "New To The Industry Forum" section.

15. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

If you bought this (open cab) only for snow removal, then I think you did not get the good deal out there because you have to go through all this heater thingy majigiy. but you're already there so just make a lemonade out of your lemon:D:D:drinkup:.
    I used to lived in Mars, PA. where are you in NW PA?

16. Bill Hoskinson

Bill Hoskinson Junior Member

I bought a NH L160 that was an open cab and installed a factory NH cab kit.

I wouldn't own a skid steer without a cab. No matter what season it is. Very dangerous without some protection from material falling out of the bucket while it's above the cab. I had a piece of asphalt fall back onto my knees and thought for sure I had broken both my legs.

The cab kit is easy to install, and well worth the money IMO.

17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Buy a Maradyne heater.

18. Brian Young

We're in Erie and it makes sense to me to spend 9k on a gently used skid steer (1800 hrs) with no enclosure or heat and spend maybe another 1200.00 to do all the upgrades than spend mid teens or even low twenty's for a skid steer thats all enclosed with 3 or 4 times the hours on it.

19. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Maradyne & be done with it till you upgrade. Electrics won't put out enough heat. I'd run a hose from heater to point at the door for a defroster. They have 2 ports for defroster hoses on them.

20. Brian Young

Yeah I have their catalog coming soon. Problem is I dont know if I have enough room in the cab for one other than the box type. But going with a Maradyne of some type. I think 16,000 BTU would be a lot of heat.