1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions on salt spreaders in a hurry!!1

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hardwoodcd, Nov 20, 2012.

1. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I am purchasing a one ton dump truck with a 10' crysteel dump body on it. I have been plowing for quite a few years but I'm brand new to salting. It is going to take about 6 tons of salt to do the lot I'm taking over. I need your opinions on salters. V Box vs. under tailgate. And what name brand and model you guys are having the best luck with. As always, thanks in advance!!!
    Casey

2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have always used a v box spreader. you would need to fill up three times if you get a 1.8 yard box. never did like the idea of having the bed up when salting. my friends with larger dump trucks use under tail gate spreaders all the time.

3. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

a fisher 10 ft vbox will hold 4 yds or tons heaped. I have fisher, downeaster, and torell sanders they all work good the fisher throws the farthest of the three i have

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i always liked the torwells with hide away hydrolics ice are nice if they still made them and hi ways are good aswell

5. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I should also mention that my truck doesn't have central hydraulics so an under tailgate would have to be electric.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I like my Swenson RTEL. Great spreader and since it's lighter then most v boxes I can haul more salt. Also having the salt in the back makes for good ballast for the plow.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I use a swenson under tailgate. Less weight than a v box, lower center of gravity,electric,easy on off, less summer storage room needed,less expensive than a comparable size v box. Negative,takes some getting used to raising body.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I doubt that would be within the rated working capacity of any 1ton....once loaded with material...

We run a Snowex 2400 elec. tailgate replacement on a 1ton dump. leigh already touched on some of the benefits of an under tailgate or tailgate replacement. We have been very happy with the way our snowex spreaders have performed....wouldnt hesitate to buy more.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would buy a replacement tailgate spreader before I bought an under tailgate one but my first choice would be a V box.

10. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

11. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

nevermind this is a hyraulic unit

12. LON

LON Senior Member

13. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

An under tailgate spreadr is easy. And you hold more salt. Vboxes are easier to come by tho. A lot depends on what you want to spend. You are gonna spend big $$$ on a vbox that holds 4 or more tons, unless you retro fit side extensions on a vbox. As an example, I have a 7ft stainless vbox. Should hold about 1.5-2 yards. I welded 16" tall extensions on it and now it holds a little over 4. So thats an option

14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Under tailgate

Check out SnowEx replaceable tailgate spreader and under tailgate spreader. V-Box would also work very well.

15. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

I think I'm going to go with a DownEaster tailgate replacement spreader. Any opinions on this specific unit.

16. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Most people have not been happy with the downeaster. Look at Swenson/Meyer and Truckcraft before you buy.

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

18. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

Thanks for the thought Greg. But that is a hydro unit. Looked at it last night.

19. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

The downeaster that I had pretty much settled on and went to pick up yesterday didn't pan out. So I'm back at square one and in a bit of a time crunch. With the time crunch I'm thinking I might just get a new 2 yard salt dogg poly unit. What do you guys think about that unit? If this is what I do it wont be til the beginning of the week. It isn't quite as big as I'd like, but brand new and within budget. Thanks, Casey

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had my 1500 Salty Dogg for 3 Winters now.At first,it was problematic with the Chinese digital controller issues but once I switched over to the white faced analog one,it has been trouble free.The spread throw advertised is complete BS,you will NOT get anywhere near a 35' throw with anything resembling a salt grain.There is a good redneck fix for this though by bolting on aluminum extensions on the way too small spinner paddles.I would also advise to change over to Andersen electric connections by the auger and spinner area as the Chinese originals are absolute JUNK.