1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions on plow purchase

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FrFtr28, Jul 23, 2010.

1. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I am going to be looking at this plow for my 99 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. It's coming off a 90 Dodge full size pickup, so I am assuming I will need to at least get a mount for my truck. Not sure if the headlights come with it since they are not in the pictures. What do the lights usually cost used? I will be using this just for my driveway and maybe a couple more. So any opinions on this plow, what should I look for as far as wear and tear and anything you might know about it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

That is an old conventional mount Meyer. With this style mount, the headgear stays permanently bolted to your truck. Meyer has never made that style mount for the new body style k1500. A mount could be fabbed by a good welder.

3. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

So basically, in order for this plow to work on my truck I would have to fab a mount? What about the wiring, Is that something that would have to be custom also? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm new to the plow world.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

either fab a mount, or spend the $800 to $1000 for a mount for your truck. i doubt very much that you are going to be able to find a used mount.

for a 99 K1500 you will need either mounting carton #17118, or #17110 and lift frame #11255.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Would anyone happen to have this mount that they can send me some measurements to go off of, or maybe just pictures to give me a starting point?

The seller is asking $350 for this setup. Is that a good price? Or would I be better off looking for something else?

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on what you are willing to spend......
    The price is ok, does the hydraulic unit work? Controller included?

7. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have the lower (below the bumper that stays on the truck) and the upper (removeable when not using the plow) mounts for your truck. They are the Meyer "Classic" tube type mounts. $750 over in Ohio.

8. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

The controller does come with it, and everything worked last season.

9. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking to stay under $700 for the entire setup since this will only be used for my driveway.

10. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you are paying a quality fabricator who will do a nice job and not make your truck look bad, you will quickly get to if not surpass your budget. Then, you have a nearly new truck with a vintage mount. Seen it done many times and most are not happy with the outcome. I am not trying to sell my parts, I am just trying to save you money in the long run.

11. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think my best bet is to be patient and wait for a setup that will fit my truck without any fab work. Either that or sell the old mount that I don't need and get the right one.

12. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

How difficult would it be to sell the old upper and lower frame mounts from this plow? Are there alot of people looking for the mount for a 90's Dodge?

13. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Yes people are buying them, but the price is far cheaper than the tube styles. I have seen people sellin them anywhere from 50-250$.

14. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I actually got this plow. Talked him down to $200. A guy I work with (welder) says he will help me fab a mount for my truck with some extra angle we have. If anyone has any suggestions for making a custom mount I am all ears. I got the schematics for the tube style mount for my truck off Meyer;s website and we're gonna go off that.

The motor is burned up, so I need to get a new one, but other than that everything is in good condition.

The pivot pins were rusted, so I had to cut them in half with a saws all. Now comes the fun part of trying to get them out since I don't have a torch.