1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions on Cummins Dump....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fisher II, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Theres a dealer in town that has a 93 Cummins 1 ton dum 4x4 with plow for around $4k. I looked quick at it one night, it looked decent for a 93. Mostly surface rust, didnt notice any leaks etc. Now the question........... Normally i'd stay away from something this old, because I doubt its very dependable due to its age, but as winter approaches I need a back up plow truck, and I need a dump for fall clean ups. I know I can talk the dealer down atleast 500.......think its to old? price outta line?

2. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

How many miles? Stick or Auto.? I don't like the auto. transmissions but I love those old 12 valve engines.You can add more horsepower to those with out breaking the bank. I think $3500 is a good price. Is that a 12 foot bed?

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Does it look like my 92 ? Most likely not

[​IMG]

You need to inspect the frame of the truck and look for rotting of the c-channel. These trucks can, from first appearance, look like a great deal, and then you find out the frame is toast.

A truck that is 20 years old, regardless of who made it, is going to require some kind of repairs or maintenance Ive spent a couple hundred hours minimum working on mine, but since I was a former mechanic, it didn't cost me as much as if I had to pay someone to do it.

Dependability is based upon the person / persons who owned the truck prior to you. The engine will go all day with very little attention. It's the other parts of the truck, if not maintained that will cause you problems. Engine is not your worry, but the body, frame, suspension, and all the other mechanical parts that may or may not have been attended to over the years.

From my perspective, it's a steal, as I had a 93 before I bought my 92. I paid $4k for it because of the plow alone. It ran, pushed snow, and I drove it for almost a year. When my 92 came up for sale, I immediately snatched it up, as the 93's body needed too much rust repair, and I'm not a bodyman. My expertise is in repair / mechanicals, and not knocking tin... I sold the truck without the plow and I still got $2500 for it.

The plow alone is worth $1500. The engine is worth $1500. Dually rears are worth $800. Dump bodies are worth $400 in scrap if you couldn't sell it.

Check over the frame very closely. Behind the fuel tank is the #1 location where they rot first, as stuff gets stuck in there while driving, and can cause excessive moisture / rotting there.

Post some pix and let us know what you do. Sounds like an investment that, even if you parted the truck out, you'd still make your money back.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sharp truck^^^

IMO it's not a steal. It's not a bad price for what's probably a decent, reliable truck, but not a killer deal. The above parts prices are a little steep. I sat on a set of identical axles for 1.5 years advertizing them like crazy and gave them away for $200 for BOTH. I wanted $800 for the pair and should have just scrapped them.

That model year is a "12v" but not the one everyone is after. It's a VE pumped 6BT. Super low on power.......165HP stock. Turning up the pumps and fuel pin, etc helps, but you'll never get the power that you will out of a P pumped 12V with similar mods. Fortunately a 92.5-93 is intercooled so you have that going for it. I just recently sold a low mile 6BT motor/trans complete for $1,200, so the money is there......kindof.

As for the manual/auto thing......those auto's are actually pretty good transmissions. Better than their later 47RE's starting in 94 IMO. As for that truck in a manual, no way would I want to plow with a manual for one, but that truck would be a dog with a manual. I've been running an 06 with a man the last couple of months and it's a pig, I could only imagine a 93.

If you need a decent dump and it's clean, buy it. You probably won't go wrong. It's a diesel 4x4 dump with a plow. $3,500-$4k doesn't buy much these days.