1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions on a possible purchase... 2004 Tacoma...

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by TL697, Sep 15, 2008.

1. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Please, Give me the rundown...

I'm looking at a 2004 Tacoma Extended Cab, V6, 5-Speed, 4x4 SR5... 44,000 miles, looks to be in great condition. I haven't driven it, yet.

How do these trucks do w/ a 6'8" or a 7'4" lightweight plow? What kind of mileage are you guys getting? What's the towing capacity? Is the electronic rear locker effective?

My main jobs are: my 1 mile gravel drive, a few small commercial lots, and some residentials... Will this truck get those done w/o too much damage or premature wear?

During the summer months, the truck would be used for my construction company...

Give me the skinny...

Thanks in advance,

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

A Tacoma will do great!

The rear locker works very well and is very effective. Overall that year/body stle Tacoma is a great truck

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've installed snoways on a number of Tacoma's with get success.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The TRD tacome with the locking rear is one of the best damn snow plow trucks ever build. People always give me a look when I say that. But its true. I would put a fisher 6.8' LD plow on it and go to town. I have a complete 6.8 fisher MM1 for a tacoma. Just waiting to find the truck to put it on.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think the "Taco" is the best "truck" in it's class, looks good too. The pre-runner 4X2package is real popular with the "disco" truck set around here.

6. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Thanks for all the info, so far...

I haven't checked out the interior or test driven it, yet... Anything to look for? or pay close attention to?

With only 44,000 miles, it should be in tip top shape...

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Check the inside of the frame rails under the cab where they are boxed especially the drivers side by the gas tank. Check the leaf springs, if they were ever really overloaded they may have a cracked leaf. Timing belt will need to be done at 60k, it easy though.

No much else. Bodies seem to be holding up well.

8. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check those items...

NOW, for the big bomb...

I'm thinking of trading-in my 2005 Dodge 2500, and buying the Tacoma...

Flamesuit - ON

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Um what are you going to move your skidloader with? I would keep the dodge for a backup and plow with the taco.

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I agree.

While a Tacoma has plenty of power to move a skid with, I have used mine (and even my 4cyl 92) to move the skid around the yard when loaded on the trailer, I would not want to tow down the road with it. Even with a braked trailer, the Tacoma is just not heavy enough to be stable.