1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions from the Dodge pros!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by linycctitan, Dec 27, 2009.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

ok. Here's the deal. During the last storm (12/19-20 27" Blizzard) my '86 F350 puked its transmission and I am now looking to possibly replace the truck. Ideally I'd like to find another F350 with the PSD(7.3 not 6.ohhhh!), but everything in the area is either total junk or priced ridiculously high. I found this locally, but I am not all that experienced with Dodges and would like to know what to look for on this truck. It hasn't had a plow on it and seems that it may have done a fair amount of towing. Please let me know what you guys think and what to be on the lookout for. Thanks.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ctd/1523027528.html

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

You will never go back to fords if you buy that truck.Take it for a ride make sure the trans shifts on time.If it shifts to much at 35-40 mph you know back and forth from 2nd to 3rd or late shifting .The trans might be weak.Check the exhaust manifolds.They are known to rust.Front end work can get very expensive.Looks like a real nice truck

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

From what little we can tell from those pictures, it looks like a good truck. I have three friends with trucks nearly identical and they've been put through hell. Those are almost always solid trucks.

Visit www.CumminsForum.com for more information.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if you are consdering that truck factor in a few expenses. 1st you should consider a fass pump or air dog lift pump to replace the weak factory pump. those run you around 500 bucks. if thats not in the budget at least get a fuel pressure gauge- thats a must. next, the transmission, they aren't the best stock but with a few upgrades they are bullet proof. around 2k in parts will take care of that. next front end work. check the ball joints and figure on replacing the track bar. looks like a nice truck sorry i may be scarying you but with those upgrades you will have a awesome relaible truck, good luck :drinkup:

5. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

yep, front end and Tranny are the killers on CTD dodges. Lift pump is usually the 3rd worse part on one, They do not pump enough fuel starving the injector pump causing it to die early. if you follow what everyone has said here checking the parts you will know what you are getting and truck will last a very long time.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

nice truck...there real tuff

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Word on the bolded parts. BD Diesel makes a low fuel pressure indicator light and sender package for $85. It's quick cheap and easy insurance. Deffinetly get an airdog or FASS lift pump. The stock one will start to crap out between 100k and 130k. If that goes and toast the VP-44 you're out of $2500

The tranny will have the torque converter drain back valve break around 100k normally. Have the drain back valve replaced with the Transtar upgrade part. It's about a $2.40 upgrade that will save you alot of missery and while the trans shop is in there, have them drop in a flow through selector valve so the transmission will back fill with full line pressure in park.

8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Jeez, 1999 was one of the worst years for Dodge diesel pickups.

Try to find out if this truck has one of the dreaded '53' engine blocks prevalent on 1999 model year Cummins diesels.

This block was cast in Mexico and will crack around the water jacket if you look at it wrong. Seriously.

9. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

good call i had the bd light on 01 saved me 2 injector pumps:nod: i priced the 2k for a good torque converter and valve body
    pro seasons good call on the 53 block forgot about that

10. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

http://stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

11. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

'53' block was in fact a Brazilian casting and they were used in 98'-01' production model years. Mexican ( small neumeral ) casting were the good ones.

12. linycctitan

Wow! Thanks for the heads up guys! I'll be going to look at the truck tomorrow. Now I know some things to look for. I'll keep you posted.

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

This era was not the best on fuel. Make sure the truck has the 3.55 or the 3.73 and not the 4.10!!! If it has the 4.10 expect lots of power but bad fuel economy. Nice clean truck but check under the driver side door lip for rot and the front fenders/rear quarters around the wheel lips.

The price on this one seems alittle on the high side, yes the truck is clean but the 98 12 valver is the truck to look for!!!! :)

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

:squirt: :bluebounc

15. linycctitan

Alright, looked at this one and ran! Slid under the front end and found the big ol' 53 staring back at me, but figured I'd check the rest of the truck out. All looked pretty good, took it for a ride and did not like it at all. The tranny was very slugish with shifts and the turbo seemed to lag way too much. So here I am back in the hunt! Maybe I'll just toss another tranny in the ol' Ford and finsh the season before replacing her. Thanks for all of your input, as now if I do continue to look (or when I start to look again) I now know some very good points to look at on these trucks. Plowsite Rocks!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  16. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

I just recently bought a 96 cummins, I would check the front end out a lot cause they are weak on dodges. I've had to replace quite a few parts on mine, not complaining but it's still in the shop costing me money. Anyway, also be careful with that trans., I know quite a few guys that have those trucks and all either buy stick, or they have to replace the transmission after a bit. Hope that helps! Looks like a great truck!

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

You would think a car dealer would Know the difference between an I-6 and a V-6....LOL.