1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinion on truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by tom h, Feb 17, 2016.

1. tom h

tom h Junior Member

guy at work told me he'd sell me his "beater with a heater"
    its a 2500 chevy i dont know much about it but its got a boss v plow in front and a rear plow, dont know rear plow type never used it commercially but before him a guy used it to plow a**church so its been used. its older guess 1996
    what do you think its worth? want to get something to make a little money on the side i have a 2006 duramax and it'll cost more to put a plow on it than he's asking to buy this plus my trucks too nice to destroy i baby it. so what do you think?

thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you planning on plowing?

3. tom h

tom h Junior Member

pic

heres a pic

truck12.png

4. tom h

tom h Junior Member

just get some residential plowing accounts to make a quick buck after work nothing huge

5. dieselss

You price out insurance yet? And not liability.
    Have you REALLY thought about thism

6. tom h

tom h Junior Member

i have a landscaping business i run during summer so truck would go under that, it would have $1,000,0000 coverage already, I've got business side of it done but i just haven't ever plowed with anything older than a 2003 2500hd silverado I'm just curious what you think of the truck is $4000 a good deal for it?

7. dieselss

96 that's rusted out. No

8. tom h

tom h Junior Member

okay thanks ill keep looking!

9. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

If you do buy it, get a mount and wire up your 06 as a back up if the old one breaks down. You will also have to have more insurance in addition to your landscape insurance for the plow. Snow isn't really like mowing a yard, you can't just show up when it's convenient for you. Without trying turning this into a thread that gets shut down, all I will say is do some reading on here, it's not always rainbows amd unicorns. Like dieselss said, do some thinking about it before jumping in to it.

10. tom h

tom h Junior Member

i would only plow friends and family I'm not looking to get more than 8 or so accounts enough that i will get a few bucks per storm more of a person plow truck over anything

11. mtstclair

mtstclair Member
    from indiana

I would be all over it if it seamed ok mechanic u cant touch a new plow for that and why destroy a nice 40 grand truck? If it runs good make sure it is safe as far and steering and brakes and plow some snow those old Chevy's are cheap and easy to keep going the old rt2 boss v's are way stronger then the new ones good luck. If it were close to me id probally buy it just for the plows and put them on your newer truck!!!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

4k... i think that is worth 4K

You have a running driving 4wd pickup. In my area those are $1500 all day. Then you have a working plow that is already mounted. Tough to find those for under a grand much less the cost of mounting. And a back blade. I call that a grand. plus mounting.

So the fact that it is a complete running, driving, starting, stopping, 4x4 plow truck with a front and rear blade... I can see the $4K all day. I personally would try to beat him down some, but I can see it.

Just my 2 cents

13. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I'd buy it for 4 k as long as it didn't require a ton of work and would pass inspection.
    Run it for a year or 2 to get your feet wet then sell the plows and scrap the truck

14. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Who said anything about a $40K truck?!?

15. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

Barring any major issues with the truck , this is a great deal. I can't find a decent used Boss V plow with in 500 miles. They're either beat and rusted out, and they want $3K for them or they are nearly new and they want $5K+