1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinion on this truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rusty_keg_3, Oct 1, 2009.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, i am 17 and I have a 89 Chevy C1500 Shortbed, Regular Cab, with a 350 (5.7), but i destroyed the rearend... So for now its sitting in my moms driveway...

Well, i want a truck for a daily driver, and a back up plow would be nice, and i could go out and make some money. Well, i have dropped some money in my 89... And i dont want to sell it as is, because i will loose all of my money...

I found this truck right by my house. I called the guy, and went over and checked it out....

The truck is a 1985 Chevy Scottsdale 20 (3/4 Ton). Runs good
    • The truck is VERY rusty, but it seems structuraly sound.
    • It has a 6 year old Jasper engine, 350 (5.7), less than 6,000 miles on the engine
    • The transmission was rebuilt 6 years ago.
    • new brakes 2 years ago
    • New brake lines, tires, and battery last winter
    • It has a "good" rearend for plowing (4:10)
    • Its a flat bed, has 5th wheel hitch, headache rack, 2 "strobes", 2 back up lights
    • It has a spare passenger door
    • Spare windsheild
    • Spare front driveshaft
    • Duel Gas tanks

Plow
    • Meyer 7.5
    • Very rusty, its rusted throu, but it still pushes snow
    • The response seems ok, a little slow at times
    • He welded so a 3rd spring could be put on
    • Its got the mount that stays on the truck (like the lights)
    • Has spare pump, motor, hoses, spring, and angle arm
    • The hoist was just rebuild

Well, please tell me what you think... Please remember i am 17, but me and my bro have a 2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, with a boss V-plow. And he has a 99 Chevy 2500 with a 8.5 ft western ultramount.

Anywho, i know its hard to judge on the computer, but what would you pay for this? (if you were 17 again)... He already gave me a price...

85 1.jpg

85 2.jpg

85 3.jpg

85 4.jpg

85 5.jpg

2. rusty_keg_3

Heres a few more pics...

85 6.jpg

85 7.jpg

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i dunno 50 bucks???

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

What do I think....RUN FAR AWAY!!!!, if you have the 09, why don't you use that as a daily driver? I wouldn't wana use that piece of junk as a daily driver. But if I were to buy it it would proby be $100

5. rusty_keg_3

um, the 09 is our work truck... It plows snow, and pulls the trailer, we use it to pick up plows we buy, and drive it on special occasions (4th of july). It isnt a daily driver... Also, i am driving my moms 95 ish GMC Suburban, and i want a plow... Plus i dont live with my brother, he is an adult..., You can see the suburban in the back of the last pic...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. rusty_keg_3

If i got this, i would just drive it, and eventualy restore it, or fix it up...

7. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Ok so how much does he want? How much are you looking to spend?

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Why not just put a rear end in the other truck? That truck your looking at has trouble written all over it (if you look closely, under the rust).

9. frostyballz

frostyballz Member

OK...I know some won't agree with me......but, the plow is worthless other than scrap. (no parts worth reusing or parting out) the truck itself. Hummm the brakes, battery, rebuilt transmission etc. is the owners loss! without those being operable the truck would be scrap! The only part worth anything seems to be the engine. rebuilt from Jasper $1200 or more so now you could reasonable get about $500 for it. If you were to use the truck for plowing snow or work to make money Id say worth around $500 but obviously you will end up putting additional money into it to keep it "performing" for the winter.

Just my opinion ! good luck

10. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

one word RUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'd go for a newer like 02-03

11. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

$2-300 max

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Not much, nor would I want to be relying on a carbed truck in the winter time. My Buddie just bought a clean K5 with a clean Meyer C8/E60 for $1,500. I passed on it if that tells you anything.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If it was a 1/2 ton and you could get it for a good deel it would be worth getting IMO. Since it's a 3/4 ton it's hard to get parts for it. You should look for somthing else IMO.

14. heavychevy01

heavychevy01 Member

Dont walk away...run! Yeah the truck might, and I say might, be worth $500 TOPS! There are plenty of other trucks out there in the $1k-1,500 range that are in a lot better shape. Think the truck will need too much work to get it to proper running/plowing condition where it wouldn't crumble the first time you hit a snow pile at 5mph.

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW !! A spare windshield .....What a deal ........

16. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It worth $300 in scrap.

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Here in NE there are a bunch of trucks just like that on craigs.They are only good for yard plows,$500.00 max.

18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Its only fit to work in a yard or farm

19. rusty_keg_3

He wants $2,000... I really am looking to spend like that... But I really want to check out got h2o's truck (89), but i cant find the money...

Well... Its a C1500(a 2 wd 1/2 ton) I know you can plow with a 1/2 ton,. but not 2wd...

Thanks, i want to hear what you guys thnink.

Ok, thanks...

Ha, he is asking 10 times what you say...

Yea, i like your 89, but dont have the money (because i own 1/2 of a $35,000 truck) but its paid off... Ok thanks

Ok, thanks

Thanks, in toledo its lots of fords... Im a Chevy guy...

I know right! LOL

Ok, thanks

Ok, thanks

Yea... Thanks for your $.02...

20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not to call you out but... Your brother has an 09 and lets you drive it sometimes if you are nice.
    The truck in the pics is a POS and wouldnt be worth it if it were free. There is nothing but a brown headache right there.