1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need opinion on the new 6.7 diesel engines.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMSNOW, Aug 21, 2008.

GMSNOW Member

I currently have a '04 3/4 ton Gas Hemi and I am thinking of buying a 2007 3/4 ton 6.7 diesel with 7200 miles for about $26000 or a new 2008 3/4 Hemi gas for about $28,000.

What would you buy?

If you have the new 6.7 Diesel - how is the performance and gas mileage?

I hear you cannot put the perfomance chips in the new 6.7 diesels as Dodge can now track the install of these chips - any truth?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Mileage on 6.7's is not as good as my 04 5.9. I'd stay away from chips on a 6.7. They are too new to begin with and good luck getting warranty work done if they find out. Some dealers may be nicer, but my truck doesn't have a programmer and never will and it's out of warranty. I'd probably go with the 08 Hemi and lifetime warranty for that price. Although the 07 6.7 is a good price too. Why is it for sale with 7200 miles?? Hmmm... I'm on a site called DieselRam.com Best site ever for info on Dodge diesels. Filled with great people, like this site and it's free, like this site.
  3. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

I Have An 07 Dodge 6.7 Stick Pulling My Lawn Trailer Loaded With 3 Z's About 12 Miles To A Gallon.empty No Trailer I Have Gotten 22 But,you Have To Keep Around 65 Mph For These Results.i Had A 04 Hemi3/4 Ton Pulling A Load 6 To 8 Empty Best Ever Hwy 18 Mostly 16 Or 17
  4. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Get the diesel. It will pay off in the long run. I have a 2007 6.7 and have it chipped, no problems. I am getting pretty much the same mileage as qualitylawn.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont have the new one, but love the 4 older 5.9s much better than the V8 gas pig...

i personally dont see a point to putiing in a chip, these days the engine manuf. puts a lot of time and study into the motor. to get most power, and fuel... if they wanted to preform differently , im sure they would have done it, by simply programming the computer differently. i figure they spending all that time, and money know way more than i know... im sure down the lines there are conseqences to be paid,. maybe not by the motor , but by the trans or axle, ....

but i dont own a chipped truck, so maybe you guys so go for it -
  6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have been thinking of a new 6.7 pickup next year. We will have to see what the average is on the 6.7's and the Duramax's next year. They are very nice trucks though!:salute:
  7. SGC08

SGC08 Member

I have an 08 3500 DRW with the 6.7. They have plenty of power but the fuel economy is not the greatest. I average 12-13 mpg almost every tank, with a combination of highway/city and loaded/empty. When I'm pulling heavy (14k+) my mpg goes down to 8-10 but I can set the cruise control at 70 and sit back and relax.

Another thing to consider is that many of the 6.7 trucks (including my own) have problems due to the emissions equipment. Reportedly, if you remove the emissions equipment, which is against the law and voids the waranty, they run without problems and get much better fuel mileage.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

08 DRW 3500 here too. I average about 13 mpg.
  9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I've owned my 6.7L for a little over a year and have 28,000 miles on it, so far it has been a good performer. As others have said, you chip it consider the warranty gone! With all the special emissions and intergal exhaust brake, I'd rather not be paying $4k for a new turbo or anything else for that matter, so chip it at your own peril. JMHO.

I typically tow a 9,000lb travel trailer with this truck and on a cross country trip this summer I averaged 12mpg, thatis including pulling the Rockies and the Sierra Nevad's. Not towing local driving 16-17 mpg, on the highway with the 6sp AT @ 65 mph 20-21mpg, as soon as you start pushing 70-75 mph its down to 17-18 mpg.
  10. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

i get 20-21mpg on the highway and 15-17 in the city but mine only has 4900 miles on it so it will get better. the coolest thing is the exhaust brake if your running empty or with a small trailer 12' with a couple 4 wheelers and the tow/haul thing on and you get off the highway at 70mph it will basically stop you before the stoplight at the end of the off ramp.
  11. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

my dad is a technician at a dodge dealership (hence why i have one) and the biggest proble they see is the little silenoid in the turbo sticks and the only way to fix it is a new turbo. he just put one on a truck this week with 7000miles. what causes it is excessive idling and not working the turbo ( ***** footing around and not driving with the exhaust brake on) the exhaust brake works the turbo just like the jake brake on a big truck, it winds that turbo up and keeps everything clean and it sounds pretty cool too. and it helps the truck warm up when its cold.

so if you get the truck, whenever you get in it turn the brake on and wind it up once in a while to keep that silenoid clean, but another thing to do is turn the brake off before you shut the truck off and let it idle for 30 seconds to let the turbo wind down because once the engine is off there is no lubrication going to the turbo and that is the number one reason why turbos fail is people shut them off while the turbos are still spooled up
  12. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

as far as performane the truck rips, it will own any 6.0 ford and the duramaxes also...i dont know about the 6.4 ford though but i heard they have a lot of turbo lag.
  13. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

Thanks for all the good feedback. I think I will try to buy the 2007 6.7 diesel.

14. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Just an FYI GMSNOW - I don't know if you are new to diesels but you should let it idle for more than 30 seconds before shutting it off. The turbos fail because they are oil cooled and after runing the truck they are hot. If you shut it off without idling, the oil flow stops and the oil cokes on the inside of the turbo. 5 minutes or so of idling after heavy driving is the best thing for your turbo.

You also might want to check on the history of any inexpensive 2007 trucks. A bunch of the 2007 6.7's were either traded in or bought back by Dodge because they could not resolve the constant issues they were having. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying it; I love my 6.7. Just something to think about.
  15. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I love my 6.7 and am looking at getting a second. I have owned a for 6.0 and currently own 2 duramaxes (1 2001 and 1 2005), your statement is incorrect. I feel that it pulls better underload than the chevy or ford but "own".....ok. The 6.0 I got rid of for the dodge and I believe that it is a good upgrade. The duramax will pull right along side the dodge, maybe a bid slower, and won't get quite the mileage but they are definatly in the same catagory. I also find it hard to believe that you you are getting the mileage that you say unless you are "*****footing it" with a 2 wheel drive down hill with a tailwind. with the regen feature I dont know anyone that gets that mileage stock. With mods I would agree but then compatre the modded 6.0 and duramaxes. I can get 23 and 19 with my duramax chipped......

I would not hesitate to get another 6.7 great truck and motor but as to dogging chevy I wouldnt and ford, the only reason that I didn't get a new one was the horrid mileage reports that i was hearing. I have since been told that they have gotten better. I did drive a new f450 and it had very good power......
  16. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I test drove the used 2007 but I found out it did not have anti spin differential. The salesman actually steared me away from this vehicle as I would be using it for snow plowing he felt missing the anti spin would be a great negative.

So I think I will be buying a brand new 2008 SLT short box 6.7 diesel for $33100.

How important do you feel the anti spin differential is for snow plowing?

What do you think of that price for the new 2008? Dealer says this is a take it or leave price. The 2008 has everything set up for a true work truck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Give Duluth Dodge a call. They have an 08, 2500 short box, oil burner, big horn, plow prep , antispin, tow, etc etc... with every thing on it but leather and a sunroof for $29k new...... but they only have one left....
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  18. TEX

TEX Senior Member

id say anti spin is a must.

and like said an 07 with low miles might be a pissed off trade in or a buy back............... i think i paid right at $32K for my 06 which is pretty much the same ur lookin at just an 06 with 6.7
  19. wls

wls Senior Member

Unplug the EGR, theres alot of talk over on
  20. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Once I decide that I've had enough of the warranty I'll probably get rid of the DPF and EGR but for now I'm going to keep it stock.

Some say you can unplug the EGR others say you need to get rid of the DPF at the same time. If you do either and don't want the CEL, you will need a programmer to clear the codes (or at least a OBDII scanner) at every start up and then you will run into warranty issues.

The fuel mileage is not what I had hoped but I didn't buy a 1-ton DRW for the fuel mileage.