1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need opinion guys (yes i got pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fisher guy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

ok everyone as most of you on here know i am a ford man tried and true...but alas its time to trade up to something different. I love my truck but it has just about 160,000 hard miles and even though she runs great everything else is starting to show her age steering wheel has had it and wipers have quit working 5 times in the last month. its just adding up and becoming quite frustrating. a 2011 f-350 was on the list just not in the cards as of yet. I did some searching online and I came across something that caught my eye now before we get in to it i wanna say ive always wanted a reg cab dually and i will be getting a 3/4 car wedge trailer soon to pull cars i buy at auction. ok here it goes

2008 Chevy 3500 reg cab dually 4x4 LT in black with 7789 original miles with gooseneck ball 6.0L gas motor price $25,900 I probably can negotiate some

the only thing i worry about is the gas motor so i need opinions on that im not 2 concerned with gas mileage because this will become a secondary vehicle.

also the truck is located in Texas so u know its rust free

so lets hear it guys i want opinions from everyone what do u think...i know i will be labeled a trader for buying it but there will be a sticker on the back glass saying "my other vehicle is a ford" lol and windows will be blacked out lol

oh one thing down the road a 9'6 fisher extreme v ss will get put on

2939144_d84ff86d-2c6f-4198-b93a-a6443c8af2a2.jpg

2939144_cab2b2b2-beb0-4c7c-8b9c-81e045c6e778.jpg

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I'm a die hard ford fan, so I think you should get the ford! It is the best work truck out there!

3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Your gunna pull the car trailer with a gasser? Gofor a diesel

4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I'm probably no help, BUT I do know the 6.0 gas motor are beastly for gas instead of diesel, I know a guy who runs a GMC 3500HD dump with a 9'6" extreme V and a, 3.3 or 3.5yrd downeaster spreader, he says it pushes great even with a full load.

5. fisher guy

not full time maybe once or twice a month from new Hampshire maybe some upstate NY to MA runs but nothing to far or very often

6. fisher guy

yeah i run collins 07 gmc 3500 dump with the boss v and the 3 yard spread and it deffiantly has power but i only drove it during snow storms so i have no expierence driving the truck empty

7. fisher guy

i would but ive been looking and i cant find anything in my price range in this style ford and i dont like the 6.4 and u can shoot me before i get a 5.4 and the 7.3 is to old great motor but i want something under 40,000 miles

8. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I would stick with ford too but thats my personal preference. I don't know what your price range is but i wouldn't get stuck in a truck for a few years if you didn't get what you really wanted because of price. Look on commercialtrucktrader.com if you haven't already and good luck with your search.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't need a diesel and will do little towing I say go for it. Looks like a good truck.

10. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

Thats what i would do...lol.

11. fisher guy

thats what im thinking i'll be driving a police interceptor most of the time for gas milage when i head up to the auction then ill take the truck... i love my diesel but i cant justify the price right now for another one

12. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

There both really good manufacturers. Chevy's are good and ford are good. They both have there downfalls. It all depends on what you want. I have never had an issue towing with a gas engine especially the 5.4 in the ford and the 5.7 in the gmc. I have driven a few 6.0's and been surprised with them. I have also heard a lot of good about 6.0 pulling wise. But fuel mileage I heard was scarey. Chevy you will probably get a better ride and a ford probably not as good. Its up to what you are looking for in a truck.

13. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

I've had a couple 6.0L trucks, used to pull dozers and other equipment with them. Would never do it agian but its what we had at the time. The 6.0L is a great motor but if your always gonna be towing with it your gonna regret it, especially with 3 vehicles in tow. Get a diesel. Power will be much better but the gas milege is gonna be the biggest thing. Towing we used to get 10 to maybe 12 MPG. Plowing with it was just as bad.

But if you want a brand new truck then its gonna be hard to get much better MPG with a new diesel cause of all the BS emissions crap.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Don't buy it! Instead, let me know where it is and I will go get it. I love reg cab duallys.

15. fisher guy

so pretty the only major downfall to the 6.0 is the lack of fuel milege ( I can live with) and towing how about reliabilty???? or truck overall?? price?? how much lower can i go on the the price is 25,900 to much??? again thanx for the input

16. fisher guy

lmao banksy theres a reason why i didnt say where i found it lol even though its pretty obvious when u look at one of the pics lol

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

skip it I had a 2500HD with the 6.0L and 4:10 rears, expect 8-10mp at best. If you have the money go diesel....I sure wish I could

18. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

If you are going to tow much at all I would go with a diesel but if your towing is only 40 miles from home or so and only once in awhile it would be ok. If it were me I would find a diesel. Just my 2 cents

www.procutfirewood.com

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You would probably have to use Timbrens if you put a 9.5' Xtreme V on it. I think with out them that thing is going to squat big time.

20. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

But it's a CHEVY and a gasser :) but if it works for you go for it, you know you will be back to the good side soon.:laughing: