1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need OPINION ASAP if a 14ft. dump is too long for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CK82, Oct 7, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I am looking into purchasing a Chevy C550 with a 14ft. dump tomorrow. I really need some past experience and opinion on whether or not that would be too long for plowing. I know it is pushing it for length!

Thanks Chris

2. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Sorry I meant a Chevy C5500.

3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

What exactly will you be plowing? all commercial you should be ok. Resi's you'll be hard pressed at squeezing that in alot of drives (at least in area):)

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sure, if your planning on using it to plow 12' long driveways!

What type of areas are you planning on plowing with it????

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Residentials would be impossible as far as Im concerned. I would use it for all commercial, and to tow my skidsteer around during snow storms as well. I figure it will work pretty good in most lots. I am mainly looking for someone with some past experience plowing with a dump truck of some kind. The wheel base is 176", it looks as if you would add another 3 to 4ft. to the back and 7ft.+ to the front. So overall were looking at approximately. Oh forgot to add another 3ft. approximately for the plow. Please give me some insight!

6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

My F450 has a 12' flat bed on it. I don't have an issue on the roads or lots I do. Your 5500 will out turn my truck even being longer so I don't think it will be an issue

7. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Is either of you two guys F series dump trucks 4 wheel drive? I ended up purchasing the truck its a Chevrolet C5500 2wd, with the 6.6 duramax. It is in very good shape and only has 46500 miles on it. I did get to experience the great turning radius the truck had tonight. Thanks for your input!

8. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

ck how much did u end up paying for the truck?

9. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Rite around 19k for it. Its a great truck, I've always wanted something of its size. The 14ft. bed will be bad in certain situations, but other times Im sure it will pay off having the longer bed. Plowing on the other hand will be a little tougher.