1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need old school help???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Balderson, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Balderson

Balderson Junior Member

Hello! :waving:

I've surfed my way in here many times and find it very interesting. I'm not ready to go commercial yet, but maybe someday. I want to do some homework first and get setup. I'm signed up and posting partly because I bought my first plow today. :bday: Any of you remember what that was like? I want to get involved on a charity basis. Before you all booo me to scorn for not wanting paid let me explain. :realmad: Hold the snow ball "stoning" until after I'm finished please. I suppose I'll take donations if that helps you reconsider my first impression here. It's a first season option that I've chosen. I'm planning to just plow out friends to gain triggertime. Maybe someone will catch wind and sign me on as an extra truck if a big snow hits, who knows.

Ok already, I bought an old seven foot swenson spreader. You old school boys might remember these relics. This Co. doesn't make them anymore. I'm a 73-87 Chevy man and it came off an late 80's ford. I bid on the unit on Ebay and didn't figure that I'd win. $265 complete and it works, needs some welding and reinforcements on the mount.

My questions are:

1. If I do go to mount it on my '77 3/4 ton, what is my best bet?
    2. Should I just doll it up with paint and repairs and sell?
    3. If I sell it, what is the best plow for a starter budget? I'm looking for one that combines durability and value.
    4. does anyone have old parts and/or a Chevy mount?

Thanks for any help and equipment you can offer. This site rules!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

1. Are you sure your 3/4 ton can safely handle the weight of that Swenson loaded with salt or sand?

2. I'd just weld any cracks and fill rusted-out spots. All the paint in the world isn't going to make it something it's not.

3. According to your post, you've already got a plow. Use what you've got and figure out as you go what new one is best for you and your situation. They're all "good" for the use they were intended.

4. Sorry - can't help you with that one.
  3. Balderson

Balderson Junior Member

Sorry I wasn't clear!

I bought a swenson spreader plow, not a spreader. I guess that they used to make them. Thanks for the post though, Ryan.