1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need new wiring harness(es) for my snowplow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by xjoedirt55x, Sep 11, 2016.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Last year sometime, I made a post about trying to find a cheap option for replacing my wiring harness on my plow. I was able to cut wires, solder things, and directly wire my plow lights to a switched relay. It worked, but since I got through the winter limping it by I would like to pony up and get some new wiring and have peace of mind since most wiring has so much corrosion.

I currently just have the one truck and one plow. I am looking to get another complete setup in the future at some point in time, may even buy a new setup but would like the plows interchangeable regardless of the truck it is put on. Could somebody help me to figure out exactly what I need to order? I need all new truck side and plow side, with the exception of the power cables as I did replace those last year. I am currently running a 2 pin power plug and a 2nd 12 pin plug to control lighting and solenoids.

Truck: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    Plow: 7'6" Straight blade ultramount

Thank you for your time.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

So you only have 2 plugs at the bumper? This systems used relays instead of iso module. Are you looking to upgrade to the 3 plug system?

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sounds like you have relay wiring, like on a unimount plow. If your ultramount plow was from the first year or so that Ultramount was out, then it would be relay wiring. Relay wiring for that '03 chevy would be 12 pin. That truck side headlight harness is no longer available, but the rest of the wiring for the truck and plow would be.
    However if you get a new plow it definitely won't be relay wiring.

JMHConstruction likes this.
  4. xjoedirt55x

Sorry for the lack of information given. You guys are all correct in your assumptions, it is an early model ultramount, 2 plug 12 pin system with relays. I have had countless relays go bad, so I would like to upgrade to something a little better.

Thanks guys.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Cool. yes changing the relay wiring over to iso is no problem. For the truck side you would need:

28055 harness kit
    22511K battery cable and 56131K-2 motor relay (but you can reuse what you have if they are good)
    29047 adapter
    29070-1 module
    29048 headlight harness kit (that that 2003 Chevy)

To convert the plow you'd need:
    28800-1 Nighthawk lights (you can rewire the old lights instead, or buy new old style lights instead, but might as well change over to the brighter Nighthawks).
    and 26359 harness to go to the coils on the power unit. The old battery cable on the plow still works with iso.

But if you buy a new plow in the future, it's going to be multi-plex, so you won't be able to swap them back and forth easily.

6. xjoedirt55x

Thank you for your reply. I contacted a vendor and placing my order today. Really simple wiring once I looked up the parts and diagrams.