1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need new truck????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Aug 4, 2007.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey fellas, I need something to replace the 00 F350 dump truck.

My question is what everyone thinks is better a C4500, c5500, or w5500. I will be plowing and landscaping with the truck.

or does GM not have good Medium duty trucks?

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

ive always been a fan of internationals. not sure if that would suit your needs or what body styles they offer for your purpose. gmc heavy trucks ive never been a fan of. also mitsubishi fuso. i like a fuso..good visibility and maneuverable. keep in mind my experience is on the road driving with straight box trucks and flat beds. i can say i would push them through the mountains two or three times a week and in the winter on treacherous often un plowed roads crossing from maine to nh , to vermont then to canda and heading west..coming back down through up state new york. go international. only had one let me down once when i lost a tranny. wasnt trucks fault . i had so much weight on it it was only going one mph with the accelerator to the floor trying to go up the mountain for about a hour.. poor truck :cry: freightliners are nice too. nice to drive. international just always seemed to be the one i trusted when i was in the middle of no where driving through six inches of snow at two a.m.
    for the money your going to spend on this next truck you may want to consider just stepping up to one of these. as far as general motors (gmc)i drove one of those for a week and brought it back. for what i did with the vehicle (going into some treacherous places on deliveries too) there was no way the truck would have made it. all the gm had was a better stereo it seemed to lack everywhere else. the gmc looked tough but it was really just a big turd. JMO

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

were you thinking of getting another ford, or are you thinking gm?

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

5. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

6. PremierLand

from detroit

anything but ford

7. PremierLand

from detroit

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

C5500 is what I would get

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a W5500 with a landscape body on it. In the summer we can drive the mowers up on the back. In the winter we take that set up off and put a 10' hydraulic salter on. Great truck, turns real well but it won't win any races. I looked real hard at a C5500 last year. It was 4x4, aluminum box and Blizzard plow and hydraulic salter. All brand new, $87,000 Canadian. I PMed a lot of people with C5500 2wd and they all said they plowed great with weight on.

If I was to buy new it would be a C5500 2wd with an aluminum box.
    http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details...ubcategory=-1&CAT=3&ADID=6141346&ADS=6141346|

Even your colour.