1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need new tires.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by turfs up, Nov 14, 2006.

1. turfs up

turfs up Junior Member

My '05 Dodge came with a set of Michelins. I liked them but I've only got 26,000 miles on the truck and the rubbers shot. I need a set that's going to get me around in the snow this winter but not sing so loud I can't hear the goat rumble... or kill my wallet. Some one had recomended Firestone Stealtech's. I really like the looks of Wrangler and a set would run me about $750.00. Anyone have any sugestions? We do lawn and landscape also so were always towing heavy loads. Can anyone tell me how long Wranglers might last?

2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

The wrangler MTR is a great tire for snowplowing. but they are expensive and wear fast.

3. TEX

TEX Senior Member

a good set of "off brand" tires are usually very affordable and made by the " name brand" people anyway

4. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

Firestone's transforce in an e-load has been the tire of choice for us. Durable, affordable, and a nice tread.

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

can't beat the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A. they can be pricey (shop around) but you just can't kill the darn things. what ever you buy make sure it has an "E Load" rating.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

BFG Rugged Trail T/A on my Dodge. Great tire in the snow!

7. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I wouldn't recomend the BFG all terrain t/a, although they do last forever, they don't have the best grip in the cold. Bridgestone/Firestone grip very well, but don't lat that long either. Some of the softer compound Michellin's have decent traction in the snow but are costly and don't last either. I have been running the TOYO open country t/a for 28k miles now and still have about 50% tread left, and had great traction last winter.(a good friend of mine who works at Town Fair Tire recommended them) I'd say almost as good as the Bridgestone Dueler a/t gripped in the snow that I had on previously but only lasted 20k. When you look around, try to stay with a silicone based rubber, I'm told those are the best in cold/snow conditions

8. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

i drop the air pressure a few pounds in the BFG A/T and never had a problem with traction.

9. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

ha, at last... another boston fan! I had bfg's on my cj7 about 10 years ago and did some plowing with them, but when it got packed at all they didn't like to get me back up the hill in the driveway (pretty steep). I too lower my pressures, I only run 50 in the front and 45 in the rear durring the winter, and carry 900 lbs ballast in the bed. I guess it's all a prefrence thing any way

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Be careful, I would not lower your tires psi when you are carrying your plow and ballast/counterweight.

The plower psi may aid in traction but you are running the risk of rolling a tire off of the rim, damaging the tire and rim, if you should hit a pothole or curb.

With your plow attached and weight in the back, I bet your tires will still bulge even with the max psi allowed on the side wall.

When I'm plowing I have about 60psi in my 285/75 /16 BFG, at/kos'
    one of the best snow tires I've found. 2nd. best would be the Brigestone revos'

11. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

ditto!!!!!

12. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Toyo Open Country for my Dodge only lasted one season of plowing. 10 ply tires in a 17" wheels are few and far between.