1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need new tires whats a good all around tire?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ajracing81, Dec 26, 2013.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

i have a gmc 2500hd ext 4x4 currently hve cooper at3 . looking at goodyear duratrac bridgestone dueler a/t revo or the coopers again. what are you guys running any input would be great thanks!

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I run Mastercraft Courser A/T2s on my 3/4 ton and half ton pickups but you can't get those anymore.
    On the other trucks I run BFG Commercial T/A Traction, they wear fairly well but are not a highway tire as they can get loud. I have heard good things about the Duratrac and the Revo2.

3. greensidelg

greensidelg Junior Member
    from CT

I have the same truck and just made an appointment to have the coopers installed on Saturday. How did you like them? Sorry this doesnt help you!

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Love my DuraTracs. But my truck isn't my DD. If it was a DD, I'd probably go with the Revos. They're fantastic all purpose tires.

5. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

they were on the truck when I bought it there not totally junk but they aren't working for plowing spin to much

6. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

the ones on my truck aren't load range e . I don't plow a lot of heavy stuff should I go with load range e this time?

7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I run the firestone transforce on most of my trucks. Good all around that lasts a long time

8. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

this isn't my daily driver.

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the E load. Especially if the manufacturer said to. The E will hold up better to the work.

10. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

ok thanks that's what I was thinking and it's not a big difference in price

11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bfg all terrains.

12. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I run the firestone transforce on most of my trucks. Good all around that lasts a long time

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Agreed! Best tire ever made.:D

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Kuhmo AT KL78 is my most recent purchase. Great reviews and very good price locally. They are much more aggressive (open tread pattern) than pictures online show. Very quite on the highway. I've run BFG AT before and like them, trying these for less $$ and so far thumbs way up.

15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im on my 2nd set of Duratracs, love them.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Worst IMHO. They don't get good traction whatsoever (compared to a few others), especially when the "new" wears off. They wear funny, the lugs tear/dryrot. I've given them a chance. I strongly dislike them.

As for the OP.........I recommend the Coopers again in an E. I run a lot of trucks and am a stickler for tires. I got away from caring about looks and focusing on size and functionality (although the AT3's look great IMHO). Traction is a must namely for a majority of 2wd plowing I choose to do. I was stuck on the Yok's until they changed to the newer pattern. I have them on one truck and they're good, but not great. I then was praising the Hankook AT's, but they got too pricey, get good but not great traction, and start to lose balance after the first few thousand miles. I have 1 set left. I now run the Coopers and love them so far. Especially in comparison. I too have ran everything from the old Mastercrafts, to random China brand throw aways, to the "best" tires money can buy.

I just bought a set of LT275/70/18's for my DD. The Cooper AT3's were $164 per tire, and basically the only other comparable option was a Good Year for over $300. I went the cheaper route for obvious reasons, but honestly feel that I chose the better tire.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm running 285-75-16 (LR: E) Nitto Terra Grapplers for the winter on my 2500HD. Most of my plowing is all done in 2wd, good road manners, quiet, they still have a pretty good look to them as well. They are a nice mix between a highway tire and a tame mud tire.

18. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

tires

I've had a couple sets of Revo's and loved them. I just put cooper AT3's on my F350 and so far I have no complaints.

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Really like my dynapro atm's. Work great in the snow, not real noisy and seem to be holding up very well. Been on the truck since 2007.

20. sargex595

sargex595 Member

"I just bought a set of LT275/70/18's for my DD. The Cooper AT3's were $164 per tire, and basically the only other comparable option was a Good Year for over $300. I went the cheaper route for obvious reasons, but honestly feel that I chose the better tire"

I just bought a 2013 GMC 2500HD that came with Michelin LTX A/T2 LT265/70R18. Can't find a snow tire I want in that size. Can I go with the LT275/70R18??

Curt.