1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need new spreader advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lcmains1, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Lcmains1

Lcmains1 Member

I have an old western steel spreader. It has a ton of holes and the drag chain and lower part of the chute needs replaced. Ive decided its not with the money and want to replace it.

I have a place to keep the salt dry and have had success with the drag chain. What are some recommendations for spreaders? I don't mind going to an aguer but don't know much about them. We will go through about 120 tons of rock salt.
    I would also like to add a pre-wetting system if possible. Looking at 2-3 yard spreaders.

Any advice and experience is great appreciated. I just want to buy something that is reliable!!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dont get a gas engine. Go with electric.

3. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Yes very true...our gas ones were nothing but problems..electric all the way

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you want one with a pre-wetting system, Meyer crossfire offers that. Got to say I haven't heard many good things about them though. If you want one with a chain I'd go with the DD Western Tornado or Fisher Polycaster.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you want cheap, buy a Salt Dogg 2 yard box and build your own prewet system. If you want a decent box, buy a Salt Dogg 2.25 yard box and build your own prewet system.

If you want a great box, buy a Boss VBX and build your own prewet system. Boss is available in auger and pintle so you can get what you want there. I've heard great things about the Swenson Polyhawk as well but they're even pricier than the Boss and I think only pintle chain..

6. JustJeff

Boss VBX is a nice spreader. It will probably be my next one.

7. John_DeereGreen

You don't know what you're missing compared to the Salt Dogg.

We are switching 5 trucks for this season.

8. JustJeff

I believe you. I've only used this for one season, and wasn't impressed. Had lots of trouble bridging and freezing in the back. A lot of that was because the salt I was spreading was so wet that I could have made snowballs out of it, but I got tired of powerwashing it out after about the third time. The guys that had the VBX's didn't seem to have the trouble at all, and they were spreading the same salt that I was. I do need to open my baffles more though. If I have trouble with it this season I will be selling it come March and getting a VBX.

9. MeritHall_Inc

MeritHall_Inc Inactive

No matter what spreader you buy at some point you will need parts and like anything in snow removal you will need the parts at the worst time. When you buy a spreader take into consideration how long it will take to get the parts you need and if you have a reliable local place to get parts during a snow storm.

10. John_DeereGreen

The only fix I've found for the bridging in Shitdoggs is totally remove the baffles and turn the vibrator off and on when you're spreading. Auger not turning, vibrator needs to be off otherwise it just packs the salt. Especially if it's wet at all.

I'd be getting rid of the POS now personally. You'll do nothing but fight it and the longer you keep it the more electrical issues you'll have. Ask me how I know.

Salt literally with water running out of the skid loader bucket and my VBX spread it with no issues at all. Had to dump a load from a Saltdogg and it got snowed on.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  11. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

very happy with our new hiniker electric augers.