1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need new sander:electric/gas/hydraulic-gas??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MJM Landscaping, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

So I need to replace a sander. I had a gas snoway with decent luck. I have narrowed it down to either a downeaster dual electric, downeaster with a gas driven hydraulic unit or fisher polycaster. I spread sand salt which is usually very wet. I would really like to go electric but concerned about the power to spread. I also like the idea of no gas engine to start/maintain. I just want to make the right purchase, what do you guys think???
  2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Downeaster spreaders looked very interesting to me as well. As a result I called them for a quote in late summer or early fall. I never received it so I called them again and to this date I still have not received a quote. If they don't follow up on sales, how do you think they will follow up on parts and service? Just thought you might want to know.

Herm Witte

Witte Lawn Maintenance, Inc.

Serving West Michigan since 1957
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I had the same problem when I was pricing stuff. I ended up snapping at the lady that answered the phone on my third call and waited until she found someone. My voice mail messages were never returned from the previous two weeks.

Granted when it comes to service, both MJM & I live in Maine, so we can just knock there damn door down. I have heard nothing but good things about there products though....I just think there a bit pricey.
  4. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

If you can afford it, i would go hydrolics. I have one central and three gas. I was looking at replacing on of the gas for a electric.
  5. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Well if I did it would be a self contained hydraulic unit powered by a gas engine cause my truck is not plumbed for hyraulics. So at that point I'm back to having to run a gas engine. I dont know, I need to ordered on asap.