1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need new pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zzzman, Jul 27, 2009.

1. zzzman

zzzman Member

i've come to the conclusion i need a new pump. i have an e-47.so here's my next question. there's a place on ebay that sells completely rebuilt pumps. you just send yours for the core. the e-47 are going for 400.00. Here's what i would like to know from you guys. i need to buy a new set of controls too. so would u buy the same pump or upgrade to a e-60 or something else. i have a meyer pump right now with a western plow.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd upgrade to an E58 rather than a 60. When Meyer released the E58 series they fixed a few of the shortcomings that were inherent in all the previous pumps. Namely the undersized gear pump and motors on the E47, as well as motor corrosion issues that plagued the E60's for years due to them being horizontally mounted to the pump. Not to mention but most importantly the much improved valve solenoids that the E58 uses.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like B&B said upgrade to the E58. There are kits available early in the season to convert a 47 to a 58. Having a more efficient pump saves you battery power and just makes plowing more enjoyable.Since it's quicker, it makes it a better choice for plowing. Most places that service plows can do the upgrade / convert job. But you have to do it early before the conversion kits get sold out.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I believe what you're thinking of Micki was the kits for the E57 upgrade. In order to convert an E47 to a E58 you'd need about $1200 worth of individual parts as the only components that are shared between an E47 and and the E58 would be the top cap, ram, cylinder and tank (IF the 47 is an H series). Thats it.

If you recall it was the E57's that played the stronger and upgraded sister of the E47 with their larger gear pumps and 4.5" motors...which of course could be easily swapped onto the older E47's since they shared all other components, and hence can be easily converted into an E57.

5. MickiRig1

I didn't pay attention to the numbers.
    My brother inlaw had his E47 converted to a E57. He was cutting on me that I still had the old E47. He neglected to mention how much it cost him. I will have to zing him with that one.

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

The e-57 retrofit kit to upgrade your pump and motor is around $400.00 usd from most of the online plow suppliers. Made a world of difference to our e-47 on the F350.

We also went ahead and put individual grounds to all the solonoids at the same time. Has worked wonders so far.

7. zzzman

zzzman Member

was thinking of just replacing with another one. not rebuilding or retrofitting mine. there's a place on ebay called storks snow plow and jeep parts that has e-47 for 400.00. and e-60 for 500. anyone ever heard of them or did buisness with them. any feedback would be great before i go ahead with deal

8. MickiRig1

I would think those prices are for well used pumps. Maybe whatever is worn out that makes them non-functional has been replaced. If you rebuild it or have it done you would know it's good to go. By buying those pumps it's a "pig in a poke". You don't know what your getting. The money you save could be lost on just one event if the pump fails. I hate having snow flakes laughing at me when the truck or plow is broke.

9. zzzman

zzzman Member

mickirig1 or anyone. who do u recommend on having mine rebuilt. i don't have the money to spend 1500 on a new pump. will have around 700.00

10. MickiRig1

You can buy all the parts Online. The link to CentralPartsWarehouse.com above is a start. They should have prices on rebuilds, trades that are rebuilt,parts,master seal kits and manuals. You can save major money if you can do it or have a buddy that can help.
    Millsupply.com is another that has parts and rebuild service. You may just need a new motor and / or a pump. A rebuilder can test it and tell you what it needs.

11. MickiRig1

You can buy all the parts Online. The link to CentralPartsWarehouse.com above is a start. They should have prices on rebuilds, trades that are rebuilt,parts,master seal kits and manuals. You can save major money if you can do it or have a buddy that can help.
    Millsupply.com is another that has parts and rebuild service. You may just need a new motor and / or a pump. A rebuilder can test it and tell you what it needs.

12. MickiRig1