1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need new gauge cluster... GMC vs. Chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, the speedometer is dead (staying at 10 MPH) in the cluster in my truck- 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I have the extended warranty paperwork GM sent out a couple months back. My question is- are the gauge clusters on the 2003 GMC and Chevy trucks the same? Can a Chevy dealer put in the new one on my truck, or do I have to go to the GMC dealer that I'm not a big fan of (to say the least)? Does anyone know how long it "should" take them to do this?

2. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I always take my chevy to the local GMC dealer becuase they know so much more about the Duramax. They have no problem warantying any repairs that i need made
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't have to be a Chevy or GMC dealer, just has to be a GM dealer (Buick, Pontiac etc).

For a complete cluster swap including the reprogram the book time is .8 hr IIRC.

The major cluster differences are between 1/2 ton and the 3/4, 1 tons, as well as gas or diesel. Chevy or GMC makes no difference.
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I think every dealer has their own policy on this.By me,for 5500 series down,you have to go to the corresponding brand dealer.I've tried bringing my old '04 GMC 2500HD to my favorite Chevy dealer--no good. Now on my 7500,there is joint reciprocity for warranty work anywhere in the U.S.--matter of fact,the truck came with a nation-wide manual of all GMC-Chevy dealers.
    I had the famous cluster changeout on that '04 Jimmy---was out of there in about an hour.
  5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not true! I had a 2004 GMC with the same problem I was forced to take it to a GMC dealer as the Chevy one couldn't do the work on it so they said!
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It is under recall, Take it to the dealer and have it fixed for free. Taking mine in this week.
  9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's weird because it started working again today- kind of sporatic- maybe the stepper motor dieing. Also- dealer said they will send it out and put the original cluster back in- is this right?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not weird at all Matt, that's what they'll do when the stepper motors are failing.

And yes many dealers will send the original cluster out to be repaired rather than replacing it with a new cluster. Less paper work for them that way, but more down time for you. Should'nt take more than a day or two for them to receive the cluster back though.
  11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

my 94 chevy stopped a month ago is it the same thing ? or a ground ?
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The older trucks didn't really have the stepper motor troubles. Yours is likely a connection problem on the back of the cluster or the speed sensor died.

Tip: Loose/poor connection on the back of the cluster is more common than the speed sensor failing.

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I had mind done the cluster stopped working all together, It was covered under the warranty or the service bulletin they had on them . SNOWANDICEMAN