1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need more turning radius

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by trucksareford42, Jul 7, 2009.

1. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

I have a 04 250 crew cab short box it turns like a freight train i want to plow with it but need better turning radius. ANY IDEAS?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Learn to make a Y-turn.:rolleyes:

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

short turn

about the only way around it is a short bed std cab truck,been there done that,1998 3/4 extended cab 8Ft box . it takes about 40 acre's to turn around !payup

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a ford, that's your turning problem.

In all honesty, I've never driven a superduty that turned sharp. Fords are the worse, GM is pretty good, and the dodge trucks will spin right around.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait till you try turning it in 4 wheel drive. Besides are you a women that you need that much space to turn?:rolleyes:

6. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

hathats a good one. i have some nasty driveways that make the life fun in the snow.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Then get bronco or ranger they are great for small driveway

8. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Trade it in for a '05 to current Super Duty. ( Coil springs in the front, not leafs, sharper wheelcut).

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think the new F450 with the wide axle will out turn a chevy... Even tho im a chevy guy, but my buddys 450 turns redicusly sharp

10. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Yea, but if it's a diesel I'd take a larger turning radius and a few spare CPSs to a smaller turning radius, bad turbos, bad EGRs, bad injectors, need I go on?

Dad has an 06 6.0 4x4 DRW w/service box. I don't notice any turning radius difference between it and my SRW 7.3 4x4 reg cab long box.

And his has been to the dealership 3x (under warranty thankfully) for not firing on all cylinders. First time they reflashed the PCM. Second time they replaced part of the injector wiring harness. Third time they replaced an injector. That was all under 16,000 miles. Currently almost 28k with no more problems.

My 7.3's Oasis report has only a CPS recall on it.

11. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

This may be from 2006 but check page 29, and look at the curb to curb and wall to wall turning diameters. An F-250/F-350 pickup does 46.1ft curb to curb. An F-450/F-550 can do 42.3ft curb to curb turning diameter. The Dana Super 60 allows tighter steering compared to a stock F-250/F-350 with the regular Dana 60. Just some interesting info.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2006/vs_pdf/fseriessd-ms_06.pdf

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think your out of luck. It turns as tight as it is going to turn. The only way you could make it turn tighter is to have the rear wheels steer too. That's not a very realistic option. That would be a very cool option though.

13. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

i have a 77 bronco and a 89 bronco they kick ass in the small driveways. I bought the big truck for my bigger lots and such. I still wouldnt mind a better turning radius. this seems like it would work http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...ford_super_duty_coilover_coversion/index.html

Think it can hold the weight to.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My 97 is an ex cab long bed. Of course the GMs sit low, so I've got some nice dents in the cab corners, doors, and lower bed. Seriously want to put a body lift on this thing.

15. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

You should by a toyota tundra, those trucks have the best turning radius i have ever seen. I know you will all say it a foreign truck so there is no way in hell you will buy it but the turning radius is impressive.

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ya you should replace a Superduty with a 1/2 ton 'Yota :dizzy:

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

toyota tundra is junk

I have see them in junkyard due wimp frame. They rust so bad in frame it snap in half on rear axle.

18. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Exactly. Having driven CCLB chevrolets and CCLB fords, I can say the turning radius is incomparable. Although those fords have that nifty automatic lane change feature that allows lane changes even with the steering wheel straight lol.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I drove one of those a few years ago. Didn't buy it.

20. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Yah, I got to agree with yah there. I'll keep my 7.3 forever because I'm so sick of fixing 6.0 and 6.4's at work everyday.

It seems some guys just have to have a newer Diesel truck, even though we know the older ones are more reliable:confused: