1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need more light!! Western Ultra Mount.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cleansweep007, Oct 21, 2008.

1. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Hey Everybody !
    New to the site and I think its fantastic. There is so much vaulable information on this site. Where I work at every lawn care & snow removal company give each other the evil eye. Good to see a place where everybody can get along and help each out !
    Got a question and need an answer. Last year I purchased a western ultra mount plow and loved it. We got over 63 inches of snow last year for our first year as a contractor so it was great !
    If anyone can suggest to me how to improve the lighting from the headlights mounted on the plow I would appreciate it. Many times last year during the night I was squinting just to see where I was plowing. I thought about adding a set off fog lights to the frame to improve visiability but if any one has any other suggestions I am up for it.
    Thanks again and I can't wait to continue with this great web site !!

Tim Aten
    Clean Sweep Lawn Care
  2. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Does you plow have the new "Nighthawk" style lights from Western? If not, check into a set of those. They run about $203 on centralparts.com

3. cleansweep007

No nighthawks on this plow. I believe these to be the OEM one's that are rectangular in shape. I thought I read one time that someone swapped the bulbs and sockets for one's that are normally used on a car or truck. Is this possible ?
  4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

You can buy brighter bulbs...Silverstar makes a set that will fit, Model H4666 i believe, should give you some more light.

If you really want a lot more light, i recommend a set of the nighthawks. I had them last year and will be putting a set on the plow i just got, they are worth the 200 bucks in my opinion, they put out a lot of light - Nick
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You could get some H4 housings to fit and higher wattage bulbs but at that point you'd need to start upgrading the wiring also.
  6. cleansweep007

Thanks guys for your help ! I am going to give something a try in the morning and see if I can get more light out of these babies. If that doesn't work I just may have to invest in a pair of these night hawks. Two hundred dollars is nothing when you are out there and cant see a damn thing ! Good luck to you fellas with your winter season.
  7. VBR

VBR Member

I have a 7'6" Western Standard Ultramount with a 4 port isolation module. Will the nighthawks work on that or do I have to have the newer 3 port iso module?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Nighthawks will work. They come wired with the plug, and all you have to do is unbolt your old headlights and replace them with the nighthawks. You may have to make an extension bracket if you dont have two holes on each side for mounting the lights.

Its an easy, bolt on installation, and they will work with the 4 port module - Nick