1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need more customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Steeley, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Steeley

Steeley Junior Member
    from Maine

I have just started a landscape biz this year and need some winter income wondering how to go about getting snow plow accounts, all of my curent cutomers already have someone
  2. GVLawnCare

GVLawnCare Junior Member

More Business

Something for you to think about. I am somewhat in the same predicament as you. Last year was my first year plowing snow, and actually started out with quite a customer base for the first year. Although my lawn accounts helped that a bit. Anyhow....I decided this year I would try fliers in the doorknob bags. The bags are really cheap, and copies at Kinkos are relatively cheap. Well, I handed out 500 of them this past Friday and Saturday. So far I have recieved 6 calls and have 2 new contracts signed already. A much better response than I had anticipated. Picking up 500 more copies later today, and will be handing them out as well.
    Total cost for all of this:
    1k Doorknob bags: $ 32.00
    1k Copies at local shop: $ 65.00
    Grand Total: $100.00 (For supplies only)

If I figure on about 2% signing up with me, that gets me 20 more customers. Even if I only get 1/2 that, I will still be happy for a fairly small investment.
    You also have to figure the time that everything takes, from ordering all your supplies, folding and stuffing your fliers into the bag, to actually delivering them. Who ever said owning your own business was easy???
  3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i've had a really good response from "yard signs" (they are about the same as a realtors sign)

my sign reads "snowplowing 555-555-5555" thats it
    $100 got me 7 signs

i put them in areas i want to target, right on the corners of streets in neighborhoods.

also, ask a current customer to see if you can stick it there. it helps to keep the accounts located somewhat close.
  4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

putting signs on you trucks works too