1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need more back up lighting?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GMSNOW, Nov 1, 2006.

GMSNOW Member

Does anyone have a good and easy way to add some additional backup lighting for plowing?

Where/how do you mount the lights?

How do you tie them into the electrical so they only work when you go into reverse?

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Up under the rear mounted to the frame. You can tie right into the wiring for the b/u light circut for the trailer light wiring.
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I just have mine on a switch but its easy to jut tap into the reverse light wire with the positive and ground it unless the lights are self grounding which the rubber coated tractor lights are.

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

5. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Some people are worried that running a couple of 55w halogens will overload the circuit that is built in your vehicle for the reverse light. If you're worried about that...use a relay.

I've never had luck with lights mounted under the truck....maybe our snow is deeper here, but they always get torn up.

I've found that the best place for practical use (although unattractive) is mounted to the top of the bed rails on either side of the tailgate

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I was behind this truck the other day that had 2 lights on a plate that plugged into where your your trailer hitch would plug in. You know how some people have, for example, a Dodge symbol, on some small thing that plugs into your trailer hitch, and it plugs into your trailer plug receptacle, and when you step on the brakes, this lights up. Well, the thing I saw was the same thing, and when you put it in reverse, the lights light up. 2 problems, 1, backing up into one nice snow bank would probably anialate that, 2 I couldnt get up close enough to look at the construction and see who makes it. I hope all of this mumble jumble makes sense.
  9. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

try www.whitenight.com
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

o wow. YOU ARE THE MAN. Thats Exactly what I saw.......HAHA Wow. Well done Wing. Thank you. Very Nice
  12. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I have the traditional rubber housed tractor lights mounted on either side of the trailer hitch wired into the backup lights with a relay. I believe they are only 35W and are a nice upgrade from the trucks backup lights. I am thinking about looking for a slightly brighter bulb to give myself a little more light. Ken
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I ran them on a one of my trucks the rubber is very forgiving backing into stuff.

This year I'm just trying new PIAA 3157 Bulbs .. what a huge difference.. The are super white and only cost me under 12 bucks for the pair and they are warranted for 1 year. I put them my DRL as well.
  14. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i like those!! where can you pick up a pair?
  15. LLM Ann Arbor

At the website you reposted. :dizzy:

Get more than one. You'll be replacing them pretty often if you plow.
  16. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Could I tie two backup lights into my trailer backup lights like Big Dog D said and still be able to tie them into a switch so that I can keep them on when not backing up? With the time change, loading trailers at night has become a PITA.
  17. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

did you see this set up on a black f250?? I think that you could have seen me. just to let you know, this system is very durable. i backed up into a tree a few weeks ago and there was nothing wring with the lights. i got my set on ebay for $35.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I did just that, I bought a case of PAR 35watt halogens (a white light, not yellow like the tungsten that came with them), cost about $7.00 a bulb and they last for 4,000hours not 300 like the originals
  19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Figgs, I saw you on Route 9 in Shrewsbury between Home Depot and Stop and Shop. Was that you?
  20. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

most likely. when was it? did the trruck have dual exhausts? if so, that's me. i used to live in shrewsbury, and i travel through there all the time