1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Mechanics Help!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowman79, Jan 31, 2009.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

My grandpa owns a 96 ram 2500 with a the 8.0L v-10. For some reason it wont start. Drove it home one night, ran fine, next morning batt. is dead, charge batt., now the engine just turns over, and turns over, and turns over, nothing else..it wont sputter like it wants to start. Took out one spark plug and then turned it over and its getting spark. What could it be? Its very annoying because it ran awesome without any flaws on the way home the previous night.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i hate to have you change a part that aint bad but it may be the crank sensor. went bad on my dad's 2001 dodge twice. it would crank and crank but not start. not sure if a bad one would have made the battery dead though. he's not home or i would ask him other opinions for you. if grandpa can hold off a day or two until you get more opinions fromguys on here i would wait and see what other responses you get. good luck.

3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Has it been sitting for long periods of time or is he a daily driver?

4. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

it had sat quite a bit..untill middle to late fall when i started driving it. Some health issues came about and a few stays in the hospital so it wasn't being driving so i started driving. But up to then hed probably only drive in once a month. So it had sat for quite a while yes.

5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

possible fuel pump? My old Chev did the same thing. Would crank just fine but not sign of fire. Not sure if the pump is in tank on yours like on the silly GM.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If the battery was dead for no reason- something was draining it and is likely related.
    Check for current drain - see if somethings still drawing off the battery.

7. Turbodiesel

Trial n error now since it that has no computer for diag. codes

Id start with a batt / alt combo

8. Turbodiesel

ussmileyflag
    Trial n error now since it that has no computer for diag. codes

Id start with a batt / alt combo

9. 78W200

78W200 Member

When my battery gets low or is about to die my truck will do the same thing you are talking about. I usually have to crank it over and hold the gas pedal down before it will start. Most times it will not idle for a few minutes until the alt puts a little charge back in the bat. Also still not a bad idea to check fuel pressure.

10. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

alrite. Well i played around with it again. And i was mistaken in my first post. I am not getting spark either. The battery holds a charge and has for the last month...even with it just sitting outside. Really havn't had a chance to mess around with it with work and hospital visits. Today i looked at it and i am not getting spark. All it does is crank and crank. Has plenty of juice from the battery as the battery is relatively new.

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i ran your situation by my dad. he said it def sounds like the crank sensor to him. he suggested you call a dodge dealer and ask them about it because he was told by the mechanic at our dealer there was a problem with the sensors from the factory. they could last forever or a day. my dad couldn't remember if there was an actual recall or not though. hope you get it fixed and hope grandpa gets better!

12. damian

damian Senior Member

triyng to diag a no start on a computerized engine without a scan tool ,fuel pressure guage,service manual or a volt ohm meter could prove to be expensive and time consuming,you could get lucky and guess at which part to change but that never works for me.step 1 scan ecm for codes,review all engine data,if ecm isnt talking check auto shut down relay,see if cam crank is syncronizing,step 2 check fuel pressure.i believe the crank sensor on this engine runs the spark and the cam sensor syncronizes the injectors,if you are sparking,the crank sensor is good.good luck

13. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

nope i am getting no spark.

14. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

since its a 96 check for codes borrow a reader if you can or instead of spending a couple hundred
    have it towed to a shop and have it repaired also check all the fuses since it was dead maybe when you
    jumped it you blew a fuse

JR