1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Loader

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Vaughn Schultz, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Howdy,

Need a small loader something like this to load salt in the winter and mulch, dirt, and stone in the summer. Small tractors or used skid steers would be great. If you do not have one could you help point me in the right direction?

Thank You,
    - Eric

d9_12_sb.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Look at the heavy equipment trader, they sell them at most gas stations. Also try trading times for equipment and then there is allways ebay
    Todd

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

northen equipment

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would go orange. Kubota is the only way to go. I got a B7500 kubota for sale with a bunch of goodies. Getting a bigger one.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Might need to change your name to itsgottabeorange!! :p

Seriously though, I was in the same boat for this year but had no budget for another machine, so I grabbed an equipment trader and picked up an old farm tractor with a loader. Being old it was perfectly simple--nothing to really go wrong with it! Well, to a point anyways, but for me it was perfect. It was ready to work as-was but ugly as all sin... so I paid $3000 Cdn for it and brought it home. $100 worth of red rust paint and an afternoon and it is quite presentable. I am currently upgrading the loader with bigger cylinders to lift gravel etc. easier and a few other things, but I figure to have only about $4k Cdn. in it. It is a 35hp diesel International. Simple and reliable.

I guess it depends on what you need, whether it needs to look fancy for the customer or if it never leaves your yard. Do you need 4wd? Or is it just more things to go wrong? Do you do your own repairs, or need to pay someone every step of the way?

Old used suited me just fine.

BTW Kubota's are a really nice machine, but around here they are quite overpriced. A friend has a small Kubota backhoe and it is a joy to work with... but it is only about five years old and has rust holes starting on the fenders (never loaded salt or anything but has been trailered back and forth to the cottage a bunch of times in winter) and likes to blow hydraulic tubes... Excellent and user friendly on the jobsite but plan on floating it because it is much slower than average to drive anywhere.

Another friend does custom farming. They have had a fleet of JD's, Massey Fergusson's, and now Fendts. The Fendts are way overpriced and while the design is there the machines are constantly in need of repair (commercial use has a habit of doing that to a machine... about 2000hrs per year).

The Masseys are also constantly breaking, but are poorly designed for accessibility to repair them. Probably the worst tractors they ever bought.

The JD's had their share of problems, but they were simple and powerful... probably my favorite of his fleet. They should never have gotten rid of them but our local dealership folded so the support system was a bit crippled...

There are alot of rebuilt Asian tractors available on ebay like the Mitsubishi you show... small 4x4's with loaders and such go for around $10k US on there. I have no experience with Jimna etc. but they are supposed to be a huge company.

Good Luck!

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You not the first one to suggest this. Also "happierthatitsorange"
    I had a JD 955 and bought a B7500 to replace after a few neighbors got pissed off at looking at it all the time in the driveway. It was really rough. So I bought something it would fit inside the garage. But they moved away so the kubota is living out side now.

7. Vaughn Schultz

8. Vaughn Schultz

9. derekbroerse

Really? I should come online and read more often. ;) It's still off-season...

I always figured that neighbours should mind their own bloody business. Their line-of-sight should stop at the property line. I'm not talking about building a massive mountain of junk and piling it along the border but people who complain about a machine in a neighbour's driveway should be shot and pissed on--its none of their business!

In that respect I am pretty lucky. I live out in the country, and the neighbours to one side live in a forest so there are lots of trees between us, and the other side's owners live in Toronto (2 hrs away) and use it for a 'vacation house' and only show up about 6-8 times per year for a night or two. (they are the ones I still worry about, damn yuppies....)

10. derekbroerse

They mean 4.6 hours since their 'remanufacturing' process. Seems like a lot of tractor for the money, but you may find that lifting capacity of only 500lbs a little useless with anything but mulch. Dirt and stone are sooo much heavier, you won't get much volume.

"How does this look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Massey-Ferguson...ShippingPayment

I think I will contact him on some more info"

Alot of horsepower for a loader tractor, this one MAY be overkill depending on your size of business, but certainly not out of reason. Note that there is no PTO or 3-point hitch, so it is only good for pulling or loading, no blade work etc.

Also, be sure to read everyone's feedback before bidding on anything. You can usually get a sense of what people are really like and who is lying/cheating. Some people claim innocence but have the same complaint lodged against them over and over and over... ;)

Good Luck....