1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Liquid help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xtreem3d, Sep 7, 2011.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Guys,
    i have a company that wants to get away from salt and go to some kind of liqiud. They will most likely buy me ( or help) any equip that i need. Here is one link they sent me to look at. Does anyone have any comments or experience with them or their liquids?
    For you guys that spray liquids already..how do you apply it over say a 25 acre complex with truck docks ect? What kind of control can i realistically expect during a sleet storm? light snow storm? heavy snow storm?
    With unlimited salt, we were almost always able to keep the 25 acres wet even at about 1.5" of snow per hour. I need to guage how Liquid is able to hold off snow because i really don't have time for a learning curve. They are gonna expect the same great (not boasting , it was just top notch service) sevice with no or little mishaps. any adivce would be great. What to expect, what not to expect, freezing issues, equip ect,
    Thanks,
    Steve
    http://www.senecamineral.com/skidmountspray.htm

2. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Just my opinion but you will be disappointed with the liquid except for a few situations. Melting an inch an hour will not happen during a heavy event. You will be able to keep snow and ice from bonding. Works well for light events.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks...unfortunately it's up to them , not me... this whole thing is making me nervous

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

There's nothing like putting the cart in front of the horse

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have used pretreated salt & have toyed with adding liquids, ( bought the storage tank(8000'gal)) from my research they have their place, not a replacement for salt , more of another tool in your toolbox What size truck do you have ?
    The product I looked at was 14/lbs per gal. A 1050'gallon tank is gonna be damn heavy, & I dont think it's near big enough for 25 acres figure 75 gal/ acre plus or minus, depending on product, temp, moisture, etc.

6. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

hey guys,
    give me a call or visit our website www.thechlorideguy.com there are people that use all liquids with great success although I do not recommend it even with our super saturated brine. But I can tell you from using and selling around 6-8 million gallons a year for de icing and anti icing it works without a doubt. But there are some limitations, will it melt 1 inch of snow.. yep but it depends on sunshine, weather conditions, wind conditions, moisture content of snow , will it keep up with 1 inch hr... NO you will have to re apply. This chemical is best used for a pretreat and post treat. There are others that will say "you only need 25-30 gallons an acre or lane mile of our material to melt 1 inch of snow" BULLSH*T BULLSH*T BULLSH*T if you bottled the SUN you would need more than that. I don't care what type of material you put down you need more than that, think for a moment about how much water is in 1 inch of snow per acre around 2715 GALLONS right. Well if you put down 30 gallons of material what is the dilution %? Well it would be .0111% does not seem like alot does it. However if you apply 135 gallons per acre your dilution % would be .05%, like I said above liquids work but there is a time where it makes CENTS to use them and time when it does not. Keep in mind 135 gallons of our liquid has 2.5lbs of cal. mag. pots. sodium chloride per gallon that's 337.5 lbs per acre at 135 gallons. What would you expect 337 lbs of salt per acre to do think of it that way. OHHH ok now the good part... liquid works very well as a pre treat if applied at 60 to 80 gal. acre to prevent the ice and snow from bonding to the surface. This will also create a liquid barrier and melt around 1/2 of snow....SNOW is INSULATION calcium chloride brine reacts with snow and during the melting action creates a little bit of heat, heat is trapped in the snow (might sound like bullsh*t) but it is not lol.. which causes a longer melting time. and therefore acting as a barrier, so you can plow down to almost bare pavement or asphalt. After plowing you may or maynot have to re apply any liquid. Now if the temps are around 20 to 30 degrees salt will work better and faster below that you will get better results from liquid, salt freezes up at 15 deg. Our brine will keep melting down to 26 below zero ( proved in Chicago last year by MR.DAILY's crew by the way he is the mayor) lol. But you have to use around 200 gallon acre.For results like that. So in closing liquids are very useful the have there place in very cold conditions you can add them to salt at the spinner, you can directly apply to surface, pre treat post treat... mix and mingle them they don't care.. there very versatile and they have a place...... Thanks for the time guys give us a ring if you want more info. By the way we ship all over the lower 48 and can. With our own fleet of transport trucks.

MIKE
    THE CHLORIDE GUY