1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Knowledge !

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mderzio, Nov 18, 2007.

1. mderzio

mderzio Junior Member
    from Indiana

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 model V plow. The only thing that the guy told me it is a qiuck connect. The mount is for a chevy and my truck is a ford .So my questions are as follows:

1. In the 2004 boss model is it a Smarthitch 1, 2, 3 or what?
    2. Are there different wiring harness for different makes and models of trucks? If they're different approximately what would the harness run?
    3. Does anyone have any pics for this year model or a link I can get to?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    mderzio

2. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

3. mderzio

mderzio Junior Member
    from Indiana

So I will need an RT 2 mount for my ford?

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You'll need a rt3 mount for your truck. Like he said the wiring is universail just go and buy different headlight adapaters and you'll be all set to go make payup. The mount for a chevy will not fit a ford so you can't convert anything. And when you get it all said and done you can sell the headlight adapters and mount for the chevy on here! I would guess you could get 40 bucks shipped for headlight adapters and the mount maybe 200 250 to the right guy. But they are heavy so it would need to be picked up! Anything else you need to know just ask.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think your confusing the mounting series with the attachment series:

Attachment system:
    • RT1 (uses lift chain)
    • RT2 (uses twin lift cylinders)
    • RT3 (uses single lift cylinder)

Hitch system:
    • Non smart hitch
    • Smart hitch 1
    • Smart hitch 2
    The RT3 with Smart hitch 2 is the current setup and would include your '04 model year plow.

6. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

thanks for the help

thanks for helping me
    :help:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't mention it noble... I may need the same sometime...:nod:

8. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

What year did the RT3 and Smarthitch 2 come out?

9. mderzio

mderzio Junior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks
    Noble & B&B,

What is the Rapid Tach II ? I seen some pics of this and it does say RT 3, smarthitch, and rapid tach II. Does the Rapid Tach II have anything to do with the mounting or is it something else? Sorry for all the questions first V and first Boss.

thanks
    mike

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

RT1, RT2 and RT3 are three completely different generations of the attachment system's that were redesigned over the years to be faster and easier to hook up. (Just like a Fisher conventional, Minute mount 1, and a Minute Mount 2)

Obviously the RT1's were the first generation, from 1985 to the early 90's when the RT2 came out. Then the RT2's were from the early 90's to about 2000-2001 when the RT3's were released and are still the current attachment system.

Now, the SmartHitch part is what Boss call's the setup that they came out with that hydraulically powers the plow onto the truck during attachment to make them even easier to get on and off the truck with less "grunt work"....the first version was just called "SmartHitch", the current version is an updated version called "SmartHitch 2".

If a plow has "SmartHitch", whether it's the original or the SH2, it has to be an RT3 attachment system since there wasn't any SH before the RT3's were out.

Hope all this clears some of it up for you....

11. mderzio

mderzio Junior Member
    from Indiana

Sorry dont want to sound ignorant. This is what I was looking at...

The guy told me it was a 2004 Boss V
    In one picture was the front of the plow
    In another picture was a decal showing RT 3 and the logo Smarthitch on the back of the plow
    And the third picture showing a logo Rapid Tac II on the back of the plow
    This is what was confusing me.

After talking with Boss today they said it is impossible for those two logos (Rapid Tac II & RT 3) to be on the same plow.
    Thanks
    mderzio

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right, there is no such thing as an RT2 and RT3...it's one or the other..but not both.
    I can assure you, if the plow actually is a 2004, it is an RT3 w/ SmartHitch.