1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need insurance help in ny

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by thegrimm1, Jan 1, 2014.

1. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

Hi, New to the site,hope that I'm posting in the correct place!
    I'm having trouble finding info on insurance for plowing here in upstate ny, my current insurance agent doesn't write commercial policies.I have a plow on my personal truck for plowing my own property as well as my family's, but figured what the heck might as well put this thing to work and make a little money!
    So my question/questions is what type of insurance would you guys recommend and can you recommend an agent or agency that writes policies in NY.

2013 Ram 2500'
    8' Hiniker

2. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

You would need a basic commercial auto policy, along with a general liability policy. My policy is through the Main Street America group. If you're gonna stick to your own driveway and some family, You may be able to go light on the GL policy.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Not to change the subject, but I've got a '13 Ram 3/4 as well. Care to post some pictures of your rig? I like seeing other trucks like mine and how they look with other manufacturer's plows on them! And to answer your insurance question, can't your agent point you in a direction on where you could get a policy to cover you? That's what mine did. Although I just found out that I'm paying about a grand too much for it! Ouch!

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Your agent is pretty useless. He should have recommended a company to you that offers commercial insurance.

5. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

where in upstate NY are you? my insurer is in lake placid. Main Street America does my landscaper and commercial plowing insurance. Its over $2400 for the year… is it worth the expense for you to pick up more properties?

6. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

Thank you JTV I give them a call, can't hurt to ask!

Harley/Triton
    I did ask my agent she told me to try two different companies,neither will write the policy because I'm not a landscaper! WTF

PICS are coming, as soon as I figure out where and how to post them!

Near Albany

7. TPCLandscaping

yes a straight snowplow policy will run you about $12k for the year, for some reason having a landscaper policy brings it down considerably

8. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

That's crazy! Insurance policies,and agents don't make any scenes

9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I may have this idea wrong, but.

If I was an insurance agency and I saw a guy with a landscape company looking to add plow insurance it would look like a professional trying to expand his business. And then they see a guy looking for a snow only policy and they see what we see with some of the new guys that show up on here from time to time. A guy who owns a pickup who wants to make some extra money thinking "plowing snow doesn't look too hard" and they have no experience or professionalism and are a higher risk in their eyes.

I do agree though that $12K is insane, but that's how I look at why they want so much more for a snow only policy. Just an idea.

10. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

Guess I'll have to say that I'm a landscaper! It shouldn't be this difficult, seems pretty simple to me, I want a policy to cover me for plowing, they check my records maybe a credit report and based on that they give me a price! Or am I the crazy one??

11. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

I guess that's one way of looking at it! TY

12. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Hahahaah these damn idiot insurance companies will tell you anything!!!!!! F them. Plow yer driveway and whoever you want to.

13. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

Gonna have to for this storm anyway! I'll check a couple of more companies and see how things go

14. TPCLandscaping

So your one of them uninsured scabs who takes money away from my family?

15. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

I'm sorry I thought we still lived in a semi free country where we could practice free enterprise! you'll just have to get out there and work a little harder to pay for your insurance! BTW fully insured! thank you JVTLandscaping for the lead!!
    as for the uninsured scabs you speak of, they are just trying to earn for there families as well! there seems to be plenty of snow for everyone, so happy plowing and be safe!

16. TPCLandscaping

Nothing is free in this country,and the uninsured scabs are the reason we pay high insurance fees. when they run over a pedestrian or destroy someones property, it gets blamed on all snow plow operators and our insurance rates go up. I know there is plenty of work out there, i tell this to people all the time, just why not do it the right way? its a useless argument anyways

17. thegrimm1

thegrimm1 Junior Member

agreed!! dinner break is over, time to get back out there! be safe all

18. kickinglc

kickinglc Junior Member

Hello, I am new here and from the Albany NY area also. thegrimm1, try calling Doug Neil from Nationwide Insurance and let them know you are looking for commercial insurance. They should point you in the right direction. I have been with them for many years and they never let me down.