1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need input !!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RCLINDjr82, Dec 11, 2013.

1. RCLINDjr82

RCLINDjr82 Junior Member

Looking to buy a 2005 f350 diesel, 148k miles, extended cab, with 2010 8ft boss plow, light use.. asking $18,500.00 but willing to negotiate.

What do you think about this, I want to get into this business but I dont want to break the bank on new equipment.

thanks

2. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I would avoid the 6.0 diesel unless everything has been fixed and deleted or you have deep pockets. I love the Fords but the 6.0 makes me nervous.

3. RCLINDjr82

RCLINDjr82 Junior Member

please explain, I have heard this before but....can you elaborate please so I can ask the seller the same questions or do the work as soon as I get it

4. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

The 6.0 has problems with the egr (exhaust gas recirculation) system. When they fail the oil gets mixed in with the coolant and it makes a mess of your cooling system. You can also get cylinder presser in the cooling system which will lead to more problems. They make kits to remove the egr system to prevent this. Also the head bolts are touque to yield. On higher mileage trucks or modified trucks the head bolts can fail, causing the head gaskets to blow. Most guys will put a set of ARP head studs in to help keep the heads in place. To fix a lot of the common 6.0 problems a lot of shops will removed the cab of the truck to work on them. Nothing on the 6.0 is cheap to fix. They also have problems with the FICM (fuel injection control module) They need to see 48 volts to run the injectors. Anything less then that and the truck will run rough or not start. On the plus side, after all this stuff is fixed they are a damn good engine, powerful and reliable.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Along with what dieselboy said they also have new updates that can be installed that increase reliability. Blue spring kit to up fuel pressure (keeps injectors alive), updated STC fitting, dummy plugs, up pipes like to leak, new oil cooler when you delete the egr, keep good batteries in the truck to help the FICM stay happy, and there's other updates and aftermarket parts that really turn them into a fun motor.