1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need input

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eatonpaving, Jul 13, 2012.

1. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 97 dodge ram 3500 that i have a 2yard poly salt dogg on, all my acounts are local to me, on an average event 2 inch or less i use 3 yards of salt, so i only carry one yard at a time.....i just bought a chevy 1998 z71 1500 with an rt3 boss plow, the guy had 2500 leafs added to the rear of the truck, and had a salter on it, plow has been on for 2 yers and salter one season, if i put my salt dogg on it will it work out, their is a sticker inside the door that says the gvw has been altered to 8900lbs, thats the same as my chevy 2500....i love this truck and the plow setup so i want to make it my main truck (the one i drive) need your input...

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

man, just from my experiences, i have both chevy and dodge trucks. the dodge handles the weight twice as good as the chevys do. an empty sander would squat my chevy the same as my dodge with the sander loaded halfway.

3. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

well my poly salter is 548 lbs,oh the dodge does a great job, i loaded my water tank on the chevy today and with 350 gallons of water it only squatted 3 inches....seemed to drive just fine with the water in the tank......and this truck gets like 15mpg in the city where the dodge gets 9.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

It's still a half ton truck. I plow with my half ton with no problems but I wouldn't think about putting a spreader in it, loading it with salt and then driving around plowing all night. Stick with the 3500, its built to take it.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2 on the dodge. You have a lotta weight with plow and loaded salter. 1/2 will break in time, plus the brakes can't handle that