1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Input Please

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stan, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

not sure what it is worth...sorry....and yes they work great if they are set up right....saves us tons of $$$$ by running straight salt when its warm out and prewet when it's below 20........most guys here run pre-mix so we can usually come out ahead of them...

3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

This pre-wet system is not that popular here on the Island and honestly I never saw one. I've been doing research on this but still not 100% clear on the proceedure. Can someone that has used this explain it to me as if I'm a 2 year old?
    From what I understand the pre-wet mixture helps the salt stick to the ice which melts it faster. BUT how do you know how much brine and salt to mix?

4. Jay brown

prewetting or mixing the salt is done to lower the melting point of salt and also to use less salt which in turn is good for mother earth......Around here we use Geomelt 55, which will melt ice at temps below zero.....not sure on how to make salt brine, but there is a thread from last winter about 20 pages long with all the details.....

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks Jay. Where do we find this product? Just did a google search and came up empty handed.

6. Jay brown

Smith Fertilizer and Grain should come up in a search.....Gaylen is the man that sales the stuff..... they sell over 1,000,000 gal per season!!!

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Tried that & found the site. Looks like its only avail in the mid west

8. Jay brown

Gaylen will gladly send a tanker your way

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

LOL I'm sure they would.