1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need input on weight

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rewoodworking, Jan 2, 2004.

1. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

OK my plow is almost going to be on parts will be here soon but i was looking at my truck and it is a gmc 2500 and my last truck was a 2500 Chevy and they seen to sit low in the front end and i know its not just mine all of them do that and thats what i want to know when i put this plow on it is it going to go alot lower and if it does will there be a problem that i have to deal with:confused:

2. GPB

GPB Member

If it has the snowplow prep package it shouldnt be too bad. If it does drop alot, Timbrens are a cheap way to beef up the front end. I dont need anything on my truck, I do however carry 5-600 pounds of ballast weight in the back. Id recomend the ballast weight anyway, it will plow through twice as much snow with a little weight on the back wheels.

3. rewoodworking

i have tortion bars in front yes it has plow package
    what is different about package

4. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

What ever the plow weighs that what I run as ballast

5. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Your torsion bars are stiffer for one.

6. rewoodworking

7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Just went on the GM website. It says the prep package gives you a 145 amp alternator, wiring harness, switch for roof light, and heavy duty front springs (torsion bars).Also says not available for duramax engines. Weird, my friend has prep on his duramax. Maybe they mean just the torsion bars? Anybody? Anyway, hope this helps.:)

8. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Just tried to "build a truck" on the GM site and when I selected the duramax it wouldn't let me select the prep package.:confused:

9. rewoodworking

i was going to get a duramax last year but the market slowed down and i was playing it safe it picked back up in 4 months now i wish i just did it o well i really like my 6.0 liter

why did they not let you go to prep package

10. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Because I chose the duramax. The site lets you build your own truck. The snowplow prep option has a note at the end saying"not available with duramax".:confused:

11. rewoodworking

that does not make sense what the motor is the frame is the same i would call them

12. DAS

DAS Junior Member

If you want to raise the front end up, just turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts clockwise a couple turns. Make sure you turn them both equally. This will stiffen the front end a bit and help with sag from the plow weight. When I got my truck new, the front end sat low and when I picked up my plow it would sag ( about 3 inches) even with the prep pkg. I adjusted the torsion bars and solved the problem. Now I only drp about 1 inch when I pick up the plow.

13. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I have a 2003 2500HD and the Boss dealer said I could go 4 turns on the torsion bars before my alignment was off. I did this and it drives great. I also added slightly taller tires with 10 ply sidewalls (michelin LTX). I would recommend these steps even if you didn't have a plow, the truck handles better.:cool:

14. rewoodworking

i am going to do it to my 2500 thanks

15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I wouldn't beleave that. Over time you will see increased wear on the outer edge of the tire. I turned mine up so I would clear some nicer tires in the future and they had to do an alignment.
    Maybe since you had a plow it compensates and the extra weight makes it ok but I'd still get it checked.

Come to think about it the garage I get some work done at has a 97 chev. In the fall when the plow is installed he turns up the t-bars and said one time it needs an alignment at this time. Same goes for when he de-cranks them in the spring.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  16. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I am keeping an eye on them, so far so good (12 000 kms). I took it with a grain of salt so they say. I've done this to several Toyotas with 33'' tires and they wore pretty good. I probably should have an alignment done though. I was commenting more on the ride this offered.

17. DAS

DAS Junior Member

An alignment is always a good measure, but if you only make a couple turns it's not necessary (no more than 2). If you crank them them way up then you not only an alignment , but also to have the caster camber adjusting kit insatalled as well. Well you need the kit on the '98 models anyway, not sure about the newer models. They may already have adjustments on them.

18. Scott W

Scott W Junior Member

I had the same problem with the front sagging on my Chevy. I
    added timbrens to the front and have 420 lbs. of sand in the rear and now the truck is level with and without the plow on. You can
    log-on the Western site and they have a chart with recommendations for the amount of ballast to add. Also larger
    tires will help, especially when you are stacking snow over a curb.

19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the reason they dont offer the plow package with the duramax is the weight of the diesel. If you combine the weight of the dieselwith the plow weight, it can over load the torsion bars. IFS isnt ment to hold alot of weight, otherwise you would see it on the back of pickups and on semis. IFS will ride better though.

20. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I have a silverado 2500HD with the plow package with a ultramount plow.The truck sat high in the rear and low in the front ( I was told they are set low from chevy to improve the ride and because of a fedral law about bumper heights )

I could not just pull into my unimount becaust the front was way too low

I brought my truck to an alignment shop and he raised the front end and did an alighnment on it. $70,00 well spent.

The shop also explained that there was a different adapter for the back of the tortion bars that allows you to raise it even futher (used for a week tortion bar to over twist it)

When I have my plow on in the raised position with no ballast it seem to get lower in the front slightly,But if I am running 400 to 600 lbs of balast it doesnt happen.I dont think the front is lower a lot I just think the rear suspention is unloading because of the weight on the front..

Go out side and hook up your plow with NO balast in the back watch your rear springs and have some one raise your plow as they raise it you will see the rear springs open up because the rear is unloading.This is unsafe because you are losing your back braking capasity.

I see guys all the time with the rear end high in the air and I suggest ballast to them and they explain there truck is a tank it will go thru anything.Remember ballast is more for saftey and braking.

And what ever you run for balast should be secured in the truck bed and over the tires or behind the tires a cross over box is too far up to be considered ballast