1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need input on how to price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Aug 30, 2008.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

hello fellow plowers,

i have been plowing snow for many many years and recently have been asked to bid on four large parking lots....the largest ive ever bid. im just wondering to know how long they would take and what to charge. ive bid many smaller lots but nothing this size.

the lots are as follows.

1. 250x540 mostly open with 6 cart corrals and islands
    2. 772x366 again with the same coralls and islands
    3. 677x330 the same as above
    4. 300x824 same as above

i have no idea what they are worth or where to begin to quote lots this size lets say each lot will have an 8 foot straight blade with a 14 foot box blade
    lets here the info.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

figure out your time, then multiply by your hourly rate

3. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

that is exactly what i was going to do but im trying to get feed back from others on how long they beleive it would take to plow this.i can look at a lot and tell how long i believe it will take and usually im ball park. i just dont know if there are any price breaks for being large open lots. six acres of parking lot is alot of pavement

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

general rule of thumb, 1 acre per hour with a truck

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, how much equipment are you going to put on all these lots?

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

i have no idea what they are worth or where to begin to quote lots this size lets say each lot will have an 8 foot straight blade with a 14 foot box blade
    lets here the info.

7. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

1 hour per acre is what i was figuring...now what would you say a loader is worth per hour

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i have no clue/.... i just price it all based on using trucks, generally i have found i could charge more per hour with a loader, but could do more per hour...

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks GV, I want to know if he has more equipment then this. Is the box blade on a hoe or a Loader or a tractor. Does he plan to do all of these lots with just this equipment or not. How about a google sat pic. Where does the snow have to go? Snow placement can easily double or triple your time on large lots.:D

10. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

snow can go to the perimeter and i havent decided if im going to go with loaders or hoes it all depends on if i land four other large complexes i have a real good relationship with the local sunbelt rental store. currently i run a f350 with 9' f250 with 7.5' and two dodge 2500 one with 8' and the other with the western wideout. if i land all the contracts im looking into purchasing a larger dump just for salt. and running one box with a 135 horse case tractor

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Ok.

What are you going to do about your other accounts? Do you expect to give them the same service and still get these large accounts? You may have the equipment need to service them, but adding 1, large dumptruck and 1 machine for a box is not going to be close to enough to handle these bigger ones in a timely manor. IMO.

I am going to assume all these accounts are sometype of grocerey stores or something. So I am also going to guess that they are a package deal, so bidding just one or two isn't an option.

I know this isn't helping much, but I hope I can get you thinking a bit more.

J.

12. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i know its vague info. ive got it all planned out in my head with what im going to do as far as equipment goes. i just have to get the work to work the equipment follow me? all im looking for is time and price because ive never bid on a 6 acre lot 3 out of the 4 will most likely be done with loaders and trucks. the loaders can be used on all of my current lots if need be

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry JD I guess I backed up to soon!

[​IMG]

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

the general rule of thumb of acre per hour would give you a pretty accurate idea of what your looking at. so 6hrs for clearing and roughly 1ton of salt per acre as a base to start with you are looking pretty good with your calculations.

6hrs x hourly rate = ???
    6acres X salt rate per ton = ???
    you are going to have to answer those questions though since we dont know your rates for your area

15. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

If you have been plowing for many years, and know to figure 1 acre per hour, then you should be able to easily price this. I don't want to sound like a jackass but in the short amount of time I have been on this site, it seems that there are more and more guys wanting someone else to do their work. I don't mind answering nor asking questions but pricing is something only you can figure out based on your time and equipment costs.

16. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i already knew where i was going with it i want to hear from others. alot of ppl will feed you a line of bs when you ask there opinion i just want to make sure all my ends are covered. follow me?

17. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Also pricing for this depends on wether you are leaving equipment on site for a full service. Do you have to have the equipment there all the time ready to go when ever needed? There for you may want to read through the retainer fee thread there is alot of bs in there but some things could give you an idea for that part.

the retainer fee will help you with you pricing of the whole job to to make sure you can cover your costs of having that equipment there and ready to go all the time, then you have to make sure you make money on top of that retainer fee as well.

some food for thought!

18. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

thanx, i did read some of the retainer fee post i think it would be really hard to get any customer to pay for something like that i know the meijers pay 20k per store weather it snows or not good gig if it doesnt snow

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try reading and posting in the "Bidding and estimating forum"

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

correction for future searches.

per acre salt is more like 500-600lbs not 1ton