1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need input on contract wording.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mojob, Dec 2, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

I'm putting a contract together for an HOA that I'll be doing and could use some pro advice on the wording. For salt applications I have the following: Ice Melt to be applied directly in front of mailboxes and trash dumpsters, sidewalks in front of buildings and walkways from sidewalks to front doors on an "as needed" basis. Bins of ice melt will be placed in each stairwell. In the event of icy conditions on walkways, tenants will be responsible for applying ice melt prior to my arrival and in between my applications. That's what I have so far. Will this cover my a$$? Have I left anything out? As far as the contract goes in general, can you guys think of anything that might not be obvious to a newbee?

2. mojob

mojob Member

Bump to new post

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With the terms "As needed" you have just made yourself completely responsible for any mishap. Reason - If anything happens, obviously salt was needed or more was needed than was applied. Case closed. How about "Salt will be applied to driveways and walkways".

You are going to make the tenants responsible for salting the sidewalk? If I was a tenant, I'd tell you to KMA - that's what I'm paying you for. You might say "salt bins will be provided for tenants' convenience".

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Done as needed on call basis.

5. mojob

mojob Member

Hey Mick. The property manager asked me to place the salt bins under the stairwells. How do you cover your ass when you clear and salt and leave the walk perfectly dry and then someone comes by later and kicks snow on the walk? The snow gets walked on and turns to ice. I see what you mean on the words "as needed" and will change that. This HOA knows me and knows that I do really good work no matter what I'm doing for them so I don't think they'll have a problem with me asking them to keep any slippery spots to a minimum. I was just trying to cover myself if someone were to slip. There are about 70 3'x12' walkways at this place and it would be a full time job to see that they remained safe throughout the winter. I don't think they want to pay me to check the conditions of the walkways everyday until the snow melts. Am I worrying too much? I have insurance, but I don't ever want to have to use it.