1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need input on accessorizing new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Jan 7, 2004.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Ok guys I finally got a truck. It's a 1999 F-350 diesel extended cab Offroad Lariat. Anyways, while I'm not the busiest person in the winter, I wanna do some research on plows. I plan on doing mostly commercial, a couple residential, possibly a condo or two and some roads. I have narrowed my choices on plows to the Blizzard 810 and the Western 8.5 MVP. Western dealer is about 10 minutes away and is my mower dealer also. Blizzard dealer is about 25 minutes away and I've never done business with them so I can't say anything good or bad about them. So for those of you who have these plows or have experience using them, could you tell me what you liked and disliked about both of the plows, and your serivce records. I would also like to know how much you paid for either plow installed. I have not yet received quotes but will tomorrow afternoon.
    Also, I will be purchasing a dump insert to put in my bed. It is a short bed ( 7ft) and I was told by several dealers that I can have one installed anyway. I am looking into a TruckCraft primarily because it is Aluminum and will last longer and not rust. Instead of getting a seperat espreader too, I was just thinking of getting the TC-130 D-Icer model and spread with it instead of getting two seperate pieces of equipment. I have been quoted so far for a TC-120 Ultra at $4200.00 installed, and a TC-130 installed for $3470.00. Both have the cab protection and the rollover tarp. So if you have had experience with any of these pieces of equipmnent or would just like to add some input, please feel free. I am all for listening.

Thanks Again
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hey get the 8.5 mvp western mine takes 30 sec to install real nice also
  3. METCO

METCO Junior Member

Just Bought a new 9.5 western MVP $4200 installed looking forward to using it. Had it installed on a 04 F550 if it works as good as my fisher EZV I will be satisfied.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Come on guys, I know more than two of you on here at least have a Western V-plow or a Blizzard plow.
  5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

lawnkid, sounds like a nice truck that you purchased. sorry I can't help, just have western straight blade, but I love it. Have a buddy that has a western MVP and he really likes it-but there aren't any blizzard dealers around here. good luck to you:)
  6. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a blizzard 810 and I am very very happy with it .I would recommend blizzard to anyone.I do have a new boss V too, which is awsome ,but the blizzard is a little more productive.If you can afford the 810 get it and you wont be disapponted.:D

If you have any other questions just Pm me
  7. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

I have a fisher
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

From what I've read here, the Blizzard is very productive. But, I'd imagine that both of those plows are pretty heavy. If I were you I'd check your door sticker on your truck and look at your front GAWR. It is probably only 4800 lbs. I'd replace your front springs with Ford's X spring which is the spring that they install in the plow prep package. It bumps, the front GAWR up to 5200 lbs. You might want to look into Timbrens as well as the X springs. Just my .02, Nick.
  9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Those prices sound good. However, if you have a short bed the TC-120 WILL be too long. That unit fits an 8 ' box. TruckCraft does NOW make an Aluminum unit for a short bed. I have seen it but for the life of me I can't remember the #. Give Roy O'Neal a call at TruckCraft (800-755-3867) He will help you with the #. You will be VERY happy with both units. I am working mine like an ox and love them. As for plows I also have a Western Ultra Mount. In my own opinion (we all have them, some two. Mines not worth a penny) I'm not to sure about the Blizzard seems to be too many working parts to fail in the future. No dealers close to me either.

Good luck
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

when i bought my V(a fisher) I decided for a couple hundered $ and 80#(or something fairly small like that) that I might as well go for the 9'6" instead of the smaller blade. It folds pretty narrow and it extra width hasnt been an issue for me. Bigger is better right :nod:

With an ex cab you might be borderline on weight though......a blizzard is a heavy plow and its not quite as manuverable as a V(by just a hair, things like you cant scoop between parked cars as easy and such) Depends on what you are doing.

I do have dreams of a blizzard and a 550 with a Cat on close to a nightly basis......then the bud girls come running accross the lot.....any way....

There is no 1 plow that is perfect for everything, it depends on your application. (although fisher/western V's and blizzards look pretty close ;) )

Hooking up a plow is pretty easy and will save you a few hundered $$$ if you got the recorces, plus you get a better idea of how its put together so IMO you will be better able to fix it.
  11. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

Buy a boss v plow. They are so durable and we have never had a problem with them great plows. I personally wouldn't buy anything else at this point.
  12. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I can't say much about Fords, because the only one I have is my wife's 150, but my opinion is that your 350 would be able to handle the Blizzard 810 without a problem, based on my experiences with my plow.
    I have only the one plow, but I can use either of my two trucks, older ('92 and '82) GM 1-Tons, to plow with with it, depending on what else I need to do that day. It is a heavy plow--about 950#--to be sure, but I think if my 92's torsion bar suspension can handle it your truck should be ok without a problem.
    I'm not familiar with the other equipment you asked about, but I have a 2-yd gravel spreader on the flatbed of one truck (with after-market dual tires) and a dump bed on the other one (with factory dual tires), and I can plow, sand, dump, or do whatever all at the same time with the truck I happen to be driving, so I don't think you should have a problem. I think Fords have a more highly rated suspension for that sort of thing from what I've read on this site--and probably rightly so, but I can't speak from my own experience. I have, however, beefed up the rear suspension of both of mine just in case, so you might think about that.
    The plow--I think all have their place, but I can't imagine ever going back to anything else after owning the 810. Productivity for me is important mostly because I'm greedy for the green stuff I guess. I feel I accomplish essentially the same things now as I did before, but I do it in about 2/3 the time it used to take with my Westerns. I'm not saying that to discredit Westerns--or any other brand--but merely to tell you what I've observed with my own operation. Although before I bought one I did wonder why I would consider spending that much money for an unproven new plow with so many parts to potentially fail, I find I am still waiting for the failures to occur. I'm not saying that they won't--they just haven't yet after two years. Like the Energizer bunny I guess--it just keeps going and going and going....
    Dealer support is something to keep in mind. VERY important as far as I'm concerned. All plows are good in their own ways, but a good dealer network only makes the good ones better--I don't think anyone will argue with that.
    One last thing--if you are tempted to buy a S***B*** from the orange box, demo it first. (I don't think I can get sued over that, can I?)
  13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get the blizzard 810. can't go wrong with it. the western makes a great plow but blizzard is more popular:)
  14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Meyer I think that blizzard is more productive but are getting more popular has people hear about them.They are no way has popular has a western.Around here i only saw a handfull of blizzards including mine,but during a storm I can see a couple hundred westerns.

But im still saying you will be very happy witha 810:D
  15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I can remember when all you would see was Fisher. Now things have changed. What was popular and selling 10 to 15 years ago is not relevant. It is hard to tell how many new plow sales are Blizzard, but one fact is the Blizzard factory increased production by 60% for 2003 and was sold completely out in Dec. 2003. That must say something about the new increased popularity?
  16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have a boss 9'2" v blade on a 04 f-350 super cab short bed. i carry 800 lbs of sand for weight, and usually 200 lbs of salt to spread. i scaled my truck out, there was 9400 total, with 5400 on the front axle which is 200 over the max. my plow weights 1000 alone. so you are probably going to be very close if not over the limit. as far as plows, most around here are swithing to boss plows, if anything go with a v blade, youll be aot happier being able to scoop snow.:D
  17. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I was contacted by a Blizzard dealer today and was given a quota on having an 810 Power Plow insalled for $4595. Is this a good price or should I keep shopping. The owner of the dealer also has a plowing business which runs all Blizzard power plows and he said they have never had a problem ever having to service them. Just basically change the hydraulic fluid annually and keep the plows clean. Another thing that the owner told me is that the guy who designs blizzard plows uised to design Boss plows up until about 6 years ago so I knowthat they must make a good plow cuz everyone seems to rave about both the Blizzard and the Boss plows. My nearest Boss dealer is like 45 minutes away so that is out of the question. If anyone else has input, please keep the posts coming. I would like to get as much info on them as possible.
  18. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I recall paying $4500 to have an 810 installed two years ago, and that included removing my old Western straight blade plow. I believe they threw in the optional joystick control for that amount too. Bear in mind that I was the first one they sold in town and they were trying to get them going so they might have given me a little break on the price. You might be able to save by carrying it out the door and installing it yourself, but I don't know if that would affect the warranty. I installed the undercarriage and wiring harness on my second truck and it took much less time for me to do it than it had taken the dealer to do the first one, but that's all I had to do and I could concentrate on it--they had to work it in with their other shop tasks they had to do at the time. The manual is very instructional and if you take time to read it and think about it, it's not too bad to do yourself. It's not what you'd call simple, but if you have some basic tools and some common sense mechanical ability it's certainly doable. I recall them telling me the installation charges were in between $300-400, so you might save some money. I would certainly do the installation myself if I ever buy another one. Plus you will know more about how the plow works which will be handy.
    On the other hand, the installed quote I got from the Western dealer for a V-plow was about $1500-2000 more--not even competitive, so that's how I ended up even looking at a Blizzard. They may have been hi-balling me on the price--I'm sure glad they did!
    One shopping center parking area that I do--about 3/4 of a square city block--I do with another guy who is a friend of mine
    who has a Boss V-plow and when we are pushing in the same area, we go push-for-push with each other. The result is that my cleared path is about 1-1/2 times as wide as his is. That's the difference!
  19. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i installed my plow carriage and wiring and would not want to do it again. had to drill 10 holes, and run alot of wiring. also had to remove the bumper, which made it alot eaiser to mount the undercarriage.
  20. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I must have gotten real lucky with mine then, it sounds like, because I didn't have to drill any holes at all. Even found one ready-made hole in the firewall which worked perfectly with the harness and a grommet. It was a perfect fit all around, but I had to use a bull ***** to line up the holes in the carriage to the frame holes and not tighten any until they were all in place. But otherwise I just lucked out and it hasn't come loose yet!