1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need input for actual owners on the duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chitown sparky, Dec 1, 2012.

1. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

Need input looking at tradeing in my 2007 6.0 for a 2013 duramax and am wondering if it is worth the exta 7000 grand will I see a big difference in gas milage on the highway. I'm looking because I drive about 150 miles a day and the best I get with the 6.0 is 14mpg. Thanks in advance Ron

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Why not the ford 6.7

3. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

i know the engines have changed but i have an 03 duramax with 300,00 plus miles and still get about 24mpg highway. hopefully someone with a newer motor will chime in.

4. chitown sparky

hey olddog nothing against Ford I' m just a chevy man been that way since I was a kid

5. chitown sparky

Thats what i like to here it that on the highway or is that city driving also do you have anything done to it thanks

6. harrison6jd

harrison6jd Member

highway only. overall average around 18. 12 when towing 10,000lbs trailer. all stock. it seems to get better mileage the closer i keep to 2400rpm's.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have owned 3 Dmax's,presently a 2006 LBZ.If your basic criteria is mileage only,get a gasser.You will average app. 16MPG,that is fact.If you crunch the numbers carefully,the $10K-[NOT $7K higher anymore than a gasser since DPF era] app. more can't be justified.Now---if you want to get into the Dmax because of much greater longevity with not only the engine but also the 6 speed Allison with all the perks that go with it,the huge added HP and torque,fantastic reliability,that great diesel exhaust smell,and the GREAT feeling you get when you leave Bobby in his rice burner with his 5'' flared exhaust tip in a huge cloud of grayish/black smoke,then by all means,sign on the dotted line.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say what they get stock, friend has a cc/lb 2500HD that's tuned and deleted and he sees 20-21 running between Rockford and Ames, IA for school. Not sure how fast he goes, but I'd guess 70-75 most of the way.

9. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

Fuel mileage

I have a 2012 crew cab this is my fifth duramax and by far the best. On the interstate I get 22mph but pulling my 5th wheel, 13 feet tall and 15,000lb I get 11.5 if I keep it at 70 or below.
    When I pull my gooseneck with the backhoe it drops to 9-10 mpg. I don't pull the gooseneck a lot with this truck because the trailer and backhoe weigh about 28,000.
    The duramax will by far out pull the C5500 with the 8.1 gas. In my opion the duramax is worth every penny.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's cool. I don't pay for fuel, I idle all day, so i dont follow it closely. In the last 25,000 miles I've avg 15mpg according to the truck computer. I never reset the trip B since new in march. I done 7200 trailering, the last trip home from NY, I was 32K and got 13. The DPF is still brand new if you know what I mean. Highway is 19 to 20

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  11. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just traded my '03 Dmax and went back to 6.0 gas. My '03 did 16-17mpg highway mpg on all stock truck. I didn't want to deal with injector issues and found my truck kinda wearing to drive. Allison tranny did a lot of engine braking at lower speeds.

12. Dr_Goodwrench66

Dr_Goodwrench66 Member

The LML gets far better mileage than the LMM, mostly due to the regeneration process and the addition of UREA. LB7's will get the best mileage of all do to the lack of emissions, but you have to deal with injector issues.

UREA adds to the cost of maintence obviously, but the LML seems to be making a statement from a reliability standpoint. I have a customer that just rolled 90k miles on an '11 model, and only issue was DEF tank replaced at 40k miles. He is all highway and regularly sees 19-22 hand calculated. This is a bone stock CCSB 3500 SRW.

13. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

150 miles a day! that's way too much windshield time; especially in a pickup...if you want better mileage get a diesel vw, or for easy maintenance a buick with a 3.1 or something....

I live in north minnesota and don't need to drive a 4x4 for 90% or more of the year....

but seriously the guys above have listed all the quirks of the different diesels. if you want good mileage get a lbz or older (lb7 preferable for mileage) I have an lb7 and it got 250k on the first set of injectors so it seems quite reliable to me. I wouldn't trade your gasser for a new diesel loaded with all the emissions junk though; too much extra crap to break and replace, adding to the overall cost. 14 is not bad for a 6.0, there is really not much you can do to make that better so either drive a car or get a diesel, but understand the maintenance costs of a diesel (and higher fuel) will reduce any savings.

14. Adamar

Adamar Junior Member

Average 15 mpg

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

with my lb7 i calculated gas needs to be $1 less than diesel to be even on mpg/cost of fuel

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Extra $7k on the front side ($100/mo) plus an extra $.70-.80 per gallon every fill up. Do the math, it will take 140,000mi to break even on mileage. You could drive 30,000mi for "free" with the 6.0 for the $7k upcharge. Things to think about, I have:D

17. chitown sparky

I was talking to a couple guys and they are only getting a couple more miles to the gallon so I am probable going to stick with what I have or the new 60 no payment is nice right now thanks for all the input guys Ron

18. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

I drive a lmm. Tuned and deleted. I pull 22-23 on the high way driven nicely, now I'd I then efilive up I will drop it down a few mpg. I don't beleive that these guys with the newer trucks are getting that good of mileage with the dpf still on there. Before I deleted my truck I was getting terrible mileage around town and on the road. Plus that huge ass ugly tip didn't help **** and looked like hell on my black truck.

19. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

go out and buy a 4 cylinder saturn in great shape for well under $3k you'll do 35mpg in it and they are super reliable. 150 miles a day in a pickup is nuts. at $4/gallon you will have the car paid for in fuel savings in 5 months.

20. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Believe it, My 2011 lml has no problem pulling 20+ mpg. I drive over 600 miles a week and only have to fill up once. This truck gets as good of mileage or better then my old efi tuned lly. Best mileage I haveever gotten with the lml is 24 mpg while running and average of 65 mph this past summer on a road trip. these numbers are hand calculated, but the DIC is dead on in my truck.