1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need information!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by AAmechanic, Dec 3, 2006.

1. AAmechanic

AAmechanic Junior Member

I have a 2000 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually longbed w/ 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. I am thinking about putting a plow on it. The websites that I have visited don't list the Powerstroke as an option. Can anybody help with reliable information.
  2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Others will jump in with specific models they have successfully mounted on your type of truck, but the main reason diesels are often not listed is front-end weight..... the engines are so heavy and the OEMs try to give the softest ride, so there is not much extra spring or axle capacity left for a plow.

That being said, many people do plow with PowerStroke and other diesels. The main thing is keep the extra weight reasonable. I would suggest staying with a standard-duty 8 ft straight blade under about 650 lbs total if possible. You may still have to add something like Timbren rubber front overload springs.

More rear ballast than one might otherwise think necessary will also help keep the front end from being overloaded. 600 to 1000 lbs would be a good start. Also do not carry a full crew cab of heavy guys around from site to site.

You are carrying the most weight when in transport mode versus actually plowing, so keep speed and distance down and use the most care around driveway dips and bumps.

Easy Does It .... but it can be done safely.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

you will be ok

we currently have 2 ford f-350's with hiniker 9.5 v and a boss 9.2 v on them one is a 1998 drw dump and the other is a 2000 srw daily driver both of them have the origional ball joints and no mods to the suspenson they work great. both of the above listed plows weigh in at 1000 lbs. my latest addetion to the fleet is a 2006 dodge 3500 drw with a 9.5 hiniker v and it also has no problems good luck josh:salute: