1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need info please.....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by alstonas, Nov 15, 2008.

1. alstonas

alstonas Junior Member

I am looking at buying a 1991 full size bronco, I am planning to put a plow on it. The western v plow with the trip edge has my attention right now. I am looking for comments on how my rig will handle the plow, any mods I might have to make on the suspension etc. Also does anyone have any input on this "western" v-plow itself. Would you talk me into a different plow Boss or whatever and why.
    Edit Report

2. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I have had 10 years of experience running Broncos with plows we currently have 6 of these set ups. All of them have 7.5 Western straight blades all our broncos have airlift bags in the front coils. I know the broncos have a ridiculously tight turning radius which is good but if you look in the door jam you will see the GFAWR is something like 2000 lbs which is why they don't recommend putting a plow on these vehicles.

Our newest acquisition is a '92 with new Western 7.5 pro plow, this design is different from the older 7.5's in that the turning rams are mounted way too low for this truck and the light tower is built sturdy enough to be recovery point, this adds un needed weight IMO. They have added guards to the back of the turning rams to protect them however these bottom out all the time driving down the street:cry: and it is a heck of a wakeup call when pushing snow over a curb in a parking lot. We have decided if we put another plow on a bronco it will be a Boss. Finally unless you need the super short wheel base and tight turning hold out for pick-up, I know I much prefer a pick up.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A V Blade will be too heavy. JMO

4. alstonas

alstonas Junior Member

thanks for responding,
    grass master, I have a mini-storage that I have to plow and the short wheel base seems like it would be the best because of the tight space I have to work with. even though the GFAWR is dosen't recommend putting a plow on these broncos it sounds like with the air lift bags its working out just fine for your rigs. Am I hearing you correctly?
    Secondly I believe that a V plow is almost imperative because my primary responsibilty with the storage facility is pushing all the snow up a gentle hill 250' -300'. thats my only storage area. I have been led to believe that the v plow would definately hold the snow way better than a straight blade. Anyone with input on this????
    One dealer that I talked with about the western v plow said that the straight plow was "ok" according to his book or whatever resource he checks for the 91 bronco that Im looking at. but the v plow was not recommended. his experience was that the v plow would work fine and the only real difference was 100 lbs.
    I am also curious now about these turning rams if they set up the same on the v plow as on the straight plow (them being to low). maybe the Boss v plow would be better? the difference is the tip edge verses the tip blade.
    does any one have any input on the performance difference between the tip edge and the tip blade.
    Hydro 37 ----- you said the v plow will be to heavy, is it true that there is only 100 lbs difference. and couldn't I just beef up the front suspension and be ok.
    Input from any one on any of these questions would be great and thanks for the response I've already had!!!!
    Al

5. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

It's not just the weight of the plow, it is also the volume of snow you will be pushing. I personally wouldn't do it. Look for a F-250 regular cab. Bronco wheelbase is 104.7 in. and a same year F-250 wheelbase is 133.0 in. The Bronco will give you a better turning radius, but with what you are doing, I think a 250 with a V will be better than a Bronco with a straight blade.

6. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

alstonas,

I have to admit I was mistaken Western does have a listing for Bronco's on there web page. As far as V plows go I only have experience with Boss, It is hard to beat the efficiency of a V plow when cleaning up. If you are determined to run a V on your Bronco just be aware of what you are getting you self into. Yes with the air bags the our Broncos hold the straight blades fine.

7. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

I have a 90 Bronco w a meyers 7.5 straight blade ez mount it has a 302l engine at first i put 90 f 250 coils in it to help with the weight but they didnt help much. ran it like that for a year or two then a friend put a lift in his 06 f350 so i took his old coils and shocks and they fit in it great. no more sag with the plow up. I went with a straight blade cause thats what i had. the truck plows awsome but ballast is def required to get those long pushes in heavy snow. otherwise turns sharp and pushes like hell.

8. Bronco cant do a V

I have the Boss 7.5 with some beefing up
    and used Timbrens on the 92 Bronco, and found a different coil spring for half the cost.
    It is a progressive coil so no lift without the load of the plow.
    My truck has dual front shocks (recently replaced)

But I have equivalent of 6 tubes of sand at 80# ea and to Labradors (total 160#)
    and I keep the 32 gal tank filled,..

Best choice was 16 inch rims and tallest - narrowest tires (coopers)

But I would not dream of the weight of a V
    tc