1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need info on duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Triton Snow Systems, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

Looking at a 2005 2500 silverado with the duramax. Can anyone give me their opinion of the duramax? I have a ford powerstroke and really like it. How does it compare?

2. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

I have a 2001 duramax with the allison transmission and 78,000 miles. So far I have replaced all the front steering linkage, u-joints, fuel pump, constant alignments, and replaced the park/nuetral switch 3 times. The truck is great if you want pull a horse trailer across the country with the way it shifts (when it shifts), but if you plan on plowing or heavy duty use they dont hold up as well as Ford in my opinion. I am constantly on and off the road with my work, hauling maximum capacity, and plowing on top of that; so any truck is going to take a toll, however the Fords and older style Chevy's outlast this truck by far. I plan on trading for a new 6.0 liter powerstroke very soon.

3. Triton Snow Systems

Has GM worked with you on maint. warranty ?

4. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

GM and my local dealerships have thoroughly pissed me off. I wrote a letter twice after replacing the park nuetral switch, with no response. Everything except the fuel pump,happened after the 30,000 mile complete warranty and nothing else was covered. They only offer a 15,000 mile warranty (i think that the mileage or similiar)on the park/nuetral switch, which i was over both times. In addition to replacing the switch the local dealer charged me for software updates I only needed once. My family have always been Chevy fans, but I won't be buying another GM product soon. I will say that most other people I know that have these trucks seem to like them, and I do excessive wear and tear on my trucks, but this truck has been the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. My glowplug and block heater haven't worked in a couple weeks, but I have been dragging my feet on getting anything else fixed.

5. Triton Snow Systems

Can I ask what type plow you have on your chevy?

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Hey Triton- Stop by http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php and read up over there as well. It is mostly dedicated to the 6.6 Duramax. There are some very knowledgable folks over there.

William

7. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Well since everything else I have is Meyer I put a meyer on my truck for sake of stocking parts. I have just a 7.5 foot with the composite plastic(cannot think of the name right now) and my truck squats pretty good in the front end with that, even with plow prep. package. If you are looking for a diesel to plow with it is very hard to find one with the plow prep (vyu package). I looked through 5 states and got my truck in Virginia of all places.

8. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

As much as I hate to say it I am also leary of buying another 2500hd D-A combo. I too have had many problems with mine. I have not had as many problems as Dirt works , but I am not far off. I had a tranny go at 18,000 miles, had to replace my neutral park switch, had fuel system problems, broke a trans shift cable while plowing actually mine is in my driveway broke down now with some fuel problem(happened yesterday). This could be minor( fuel filter) but I dont know. My truck was one of the early production model as I bought it in 2/01 and this was the first year for the 2500hd D-A combo, so I dont know about the new ones. I do like the truck when it is running right, it has plenty of power and torque, is a comfortable truck and is actually fun to drive. I just dont know. The one thing that I do know is that the Silv. definitely rides alot better than the Fords (compared to my brothers F250). I to have had many Chevys I have an 02 Suburban and a 00 3500HD. The Silverado is like one of my kids, I love it but sometimes I just want to strangle it( ok just lightly wrap my hands around the throat and pretend). I was actually throwing around the idea of one of those Nissan Titans but I dont know. I would say Ford but so many of my friends have them and we have gone back and forth with which one is better I would never hear the end of it. What about the GMC Sierra I know they are basically the same thing but I dont seem to hear as much neg. feedback about them.

9. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Oh I also have a Meyer 7.5 w/pro wings on mine. Definitely can push some snow , but then again.........

10. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

I keep wanting to add, but I dont use a fraction of the potential of this truck. It sounds like Dirtworks uses his for alot more. The most mine will do is pull my 25ft boat a couple times a year, plow for a few months out of the year and drag me around on estimates. I will also tow my machine around sometimes but that I mostly do with my stakebody. I am really torn... :dizzy:

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have a 03 Duramax/ Alison mason dump it is the best truck I ever owned. I seen a lot of post here with the new Ford trans blown up while plowing. If I was to get a Ford, I'll get the older 7.8 and not the 6.0.

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ummmm. I love mine. I have an 03 LB7, you are looking at the newer ones with the LLY's. 41k miles thus far. I did eat a NSBU switch, its waranteed to 100k and is only a 50$ switch and an easy change. I have had 0 problems since I put the updated switch on it(it died around 5K IIRC)

I have a 9.5' fisher V and plow some big stuff at higher speeds at times. No probs. I run the right amount of ballast and have timbrent up front and my truck squats less than 1.5"s My dads 550 with a 10' boss squats as much.

My front end has stood up to 4x4 launches with 10PSI nuking all 4 tires and destroying mustangs camaros ricers ect.....I dynoed at 490HP on a non load cell dyno. Couldnt get it to load my truck enough to swing full boost :realmad:

Early injectros are a known problem. Chevy has a 200k extended warantee on them. Mine did need to get replaced under warantee at 37k.

The Chevy is using a bosh set up same as the dodge.

Come on over to the www.dieselplace.com

13. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Just fixed mine it just needed a little more priming so I am back on board.....

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If your losing prime and you havent recently changed a fuel filter or the like you have a problem. Might not have a tight bleeder from last time you changed your filter or might have a slightly pissed of o ring on your filter. or you may have a leaky quick dissconect or even injector problems. You have aux filtration or is it bone stock?

15. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Well I thought it was the fuel filter. I put it all back together and the check engine light went out and it was running good for about 2 miles then it started up again. I go to give it the accelerator and it just sits there fo a second and then goes. Then the check engine light came on again so to the dealer it went. I dont really know a whole lot about the diesel motors so as much as I hated to do it, I took it back to the dealer. We'll see what they say. The truck is as stock as the day I drove it off the lot with 16 miles on it. No upgrades no nothing. I said fix this thing and find me a new one. I was toying with( no pun intended) the idea of getting one of those Nissan Titans but I dont know I certainly hope if I get a new dmax that I dont have the problems I had with this one.

16. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Ok, after reading my threads I think I am being a bit harsh on my truck. I will say as a daily road driver I think Chevy is a better handling or riding truck then I have ever sat in. I have just been frustrated with all the little things, and for an overall work truck I dont think my duramax holds up as well as a straight axle Ford.

As jrodgers said I think the early model trucks had more gliches with them.

By the way ratlover- sounds like you got a hell of a nice set up on that truck!

17. Triton Snow Systems

I bought it !! 05 2500 HD Duramax with all the toys-on star,xm radio,leather interior, the works. I'll let you know what I think after 10,000.. miles.

18. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

conrgatulations!
    Wanna trade me :nod:

19. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Way to go! Can't wait to see some pics. Have you decided on a plow for it yet?

William

20. Triton Snow Systems

As I said I'm a Boss man. But, the blizzard 810 has my attention.